How Was This Stenciling Done?

Decorating By HajraK Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 4:18pm by auntginn

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:15am
post #1 of 14

Hey everyone,

Can anyone please guide me as to how the stenciling on the fondant on this cake was done (Made by Wedding Cakes by Lisa Broughton?  Royal icing? Could it be done with lustre dust? Thanks!

Mehndi%20Wedding%20Cake%20(1).JPG

13 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 9:03am
post #2 of 14

Looks like RI to me.  Could also be buttercream.  Yep, you can use lustre dust with stencils - just place your stencil on the cake, gently rub/wipe a very small amount of shortening or crisco over the stencil onto the fondant and then use a big brush like a big make-up brush (new one, of course!) to dab the lustre dust on.

HajraK Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_me1 

Looks like RI to me.  Could also be buttercream.  Yep, you can use lustre dust with stencils - just place your stencil on the cake, gently rub/wipe a very small amount of shortening or crisco over the stencil onto the fondant and then use a big brush like a big make-up brush (new one, of course!) to dab the lustre dust on.

Thanks so much for your response. How long do you think I should wait for the RI to crust over before painting it with lustre dust?

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry HajraK - I thought you meant using lustre dust instead of RI or buttercream.  If you want to paint over RI with lustre dust, it generally dries pretty quickly.  I'd leave it an hour or so (probably don't even need that long but that's just me - I like to make sure it's properly properly dry) and then touch it gently to make sure it's dry and then get painting.   :)

HajraK Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_me1 

Sorry HajraK - I thought you meant using lustre dust instead of RI or buttercream.  If you want to paint over RI with lustre dust, it generally dries pretty quickly.  I'd leave it an hour or so (probably don't even need that long but that's just me - I like to make sure it's properly properly dry) and then touch it gently to make sure it's dry and then get painting.   :)

Actually me_me..I did mean that as well, but then I just had another idea of using RI for a 'raised' 3D look and then using the dust to give it an extra 'pop'. Thanks for helping out with both issues :)

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:52am
post #6 of 14

ALooks like the shapes have been cut using a cricut mini

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:34am
post #7 of 14

There was a thread not that long ago almost the same thing, the designer used  textured mat but I don't remember if they used buttercream, ri or chocolate.  Gonna try to find it and post the link.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 5:05am
post #8 of 14

This is standard stenciling. I can see where the stencil was pulled up in the front piece, (top tier) and got a little smearing. Right above it, on the top of the top tier, you can see where the buttercream got behind the stencil, and made a little mess. Happens all the time.

Pink tier, far left, you an see where the spatula scraped the cake, and too much buttercream came off, and the pink fondant is showing.

If you just look, there are many, many imperfections from finger dents, the stencil not being held flat against the cake, buttercream going in behind it in one place, piling high in other places, being scraped too close in other places. I make these same imperfections in everyone of my stenciled cakes, I would see them a mile away.

auntginn Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 5:13am
post #9 of 14

Your good. I didn't see any of that.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 6:22am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

This is standard stenciling. I can see where the stencil was pulled up in the front piece, (top tier) and got a little smearing. Right above it, on the top of the top tier, you can see where the buttercream got behind the stencil, and made a little mess. Happens all the time.

Pink tier, far left, you an see where the spatula scraped the cake, and too much buttercream came off, and the pink fondant is showing.

If you just look, there are many, many imperfections from finger dents, the stencil not being held flat against the cake, buttercream going in behind it in one place, piling high in other places, being scraped too close in other places. I make these same imperfections in everyone of my stenciled cakes, I would see them a mile away.

Haha same here!

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 14

AThis just goes to show we are our own worst critics, my mum and friends always say 'wow how did you do that, it is amazing!', and I generally reply with 'Well I think the writing is wonky/eyes are too googly/colours are not right" . I did not see most of the imperfections on this until they were pointed out!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 14

A

Original message sent by SugaredSaffron

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/757270/how-was-this-stenciling-done#post_7386576"] This is standard stenciling. I can see where the stencil was pulled up in the front piece, (top tier) and got a little smearing. Right above it, on the top of the top tier, you can see where the buttercream got behind the stencil, and made a little mess. Happens all the time.

If you just look, there are many, many imperfections from finger dents, the stencil not being held flat against the cake, buttercream going in behind it in one place, piling high in other places, being scraped too close in other places. [B]I make these same imperfections in everyone of my stenciled cakes, I would see them a mile away.[/B] [/QUOTE]

Haha same here!

I have tried all sorts of ways to get the stencil to stay put, but growing an extra arm is the only way that I know would be foolproof! The absolute worst was when my husband "helped" me. He released the stencil too soon, and dragged freshly applied red buttercream across white buttercream, after the deadline had already passed! It was the 6 tier Martha Stewart with the princess stencil.... I hate that stencil!!

Original message sent by CakeChemistry

This just goes to show we are our own worst critics, my mum and friends always say 'wow how did you do that, it is amazing!', and I generally reply with 'Well I think the writing is wonky/eyes are too googly/colours are not right" . I did not see most of the imperfections on this until they were pointed out!

that was always my experience before I met my husband! I would do a cake and think,"Well, the icing really looks smooth, and my roses are beautiful, but my writing still needs work, and my flower arranging is off." And I'd ask him, and he'd say,"the top of the cake is higher here, there is a fingerprint here, the border is more spaced on this side, and closer together on that one, the writing looks pretty bad, and the roses are awkward, and it really needs to be smoothed better....but it's a nice cake." Lol! I needed it though! I thought I was ready to start my own business, and was still trying to beat Walmart prices!!

HajraK Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 14

Wow! I did not see any "imperfections" but what would a novice like me know? :) Thanks for all of your suggestions/comments.

auntginn Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 14

So is there a tutorial for stenciling? I started to try it once on my nephews wedding cake.  Was a pain so I resorted back to my own technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%