Help Me Out Guys, How Much Should I Charge For This Cake?

Business By arellanojuan Updated 16 Apr 2013 , 3:41am by doramoreno62

arellanojuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arellanojuan Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:22am
post #1 of 6

My friend saw this cake design i drew out last year, and now wants this as her grad cake. Im having trouble how how much I should charge since my fondant work is way better now than years before. I was thinking $2.50 a serving because its fondant. Is that too much? it would come out to $185.  help please!

5 replies
TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:44am
post #2 of 6

AThe biggest fear with home bakers really seems to be the fear over charging, but believe me when I tell you, that 2.50 a serving is dirt cheap in the world of custom cakes.

I take no less than 4 a serving, but that could also be due to the area I am in.

Never sell yourself short.

You should take an hour or so and sit down to calculate your real costs of production (ingredients, overhead, and new materials you may need, plus time involved in the process). If you are making over $10 an hour for your work, then I think you are doing just fine in pricing. But again, that is bare minimum! I have seen most people on here strive for the 15-25/hr mark.

Good Luck!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

ADouble your price and you'll be closer to the right ballpark.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:06am
post #4 of 6

ASince its for a friend, there's market price, and then there's what you consider a fair amount that covers your expenses and anything else you think you should make on top of that. You may find your friend isn't interested in paying market price for the cake so you will ultimately have to decide what you're willing to make it for.

arellanojuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arellanojuan Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:19am
post #5 of 6

Thanks alot guys. I already have cakes ordered till July and I have to make my first wedding cake. This info will help alot. If $4 is good for fondant, how much do you think buttercream cakes should be? $2?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:41am
post #6 of 6

$2.50 per serving? That's verrrrry inexpensive. Are you using a boxed cake mix?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%