Lemon Cake With...????

Decorating By CakeDecoRookie Updated 16 Apr 2013 , 5:24pm by Crazy-Gray

CakeDecoRookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDecoRookie Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 23

Hello all,

I'm making a lemon cake and I'd like it to have a filling in it however I don't want to do the classic/basic lemon cake w/ lemon filling.  The cake itself will have a really good lemon flavor already, so i don't want to over do it by putting in a lemon filling. The only one that I thought that would go good would be raspberry.  Other ideas I thought were strawberry or blackberry but i've never had any of these flavors at all (including the raspberry) with a lemon cake. 

Can you give me some tips and/or recipies that would go good with a lemon cake???

Thank you!!!

22 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 23

AI've never tried any of these and I got these from another thread, people have suggested: Vanilla mousse,cream cheese frosting and swiss meringue buttercream; although people are raving about the raspberry hope this helps xx

rosiemarie95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiemarie95 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 23

hi ive found that white chocolate buttercream is so tasty with lemon sponge cake.

ccnovelties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccnovelties Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 23

I do  lemon with raspberry, lemon with strawberry or lemon with mixed berry which is a combination of strawberry and raspberry. I add blueberry to it sometimes too - tastes excellent!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 23

AI had a lovely lemon with an almond and poppyseed filling, I've never tried to recreate it but it was lovely! It was definitely ground almond based with lots of ground up poppy seeds for colour :)

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 23

Lemon with blueberries and white chocolate is really delicious...

ladyhawke917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawke917 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 23

White chocolate raspberry buttercream - just the white chocolate buttercream with raspberry mixed in. Very yummy.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 23

ADon't think you are overdoing it with a lemon filling. That is actually my most popular flavor. I use the Dickinson's lemon curd and people go nuts over it. I also like raspberry for a lemon cake filling.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:26am
post #9 of 23

AI make lemon curd with the leftover yolks from my SMBC, super easy!

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:36am
post #10 of 23

I make a lemon cake with lavender buttercream.  I buy the dried lavender flowers at Cost Plus World Market.  It's very very yummy.

CakeDecoRookie Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:50am
post #11 of 23

Alright, so is the Buttercream for the most of the suggestions a basic buttercream???  He (my bf, aka the one i'm making the cake for) isn't the biggest on sweets, but he LOVES Lemon!!! i'll be using fondant to cover the cake so would i use then the extra buttercream so the fondant stays on the cake or could i use a raspberry-buttercream for both filling and under fondant? 

P.S. I made a lemon cake for his birthday last year, but he fondant I used SUPER sweet and most people ate it without the fondant ( I used a marshmallow fondant that I found on allrecipies.com).  Did the sweetness come from the fondant or the buttercream??

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:01am
post #12 of 23

coconut buttercream, with toasted coconut inbetween

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:05am
post #13 of 23

I make it all the time with strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, lemon curd, and I generally use standard buttercream, but have added curd to the vanilla buttercream, and it was so good, I hid the leftovers!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:07am
post #14 of 23

AIf you make a meringue based buttercream it won't be that sweet, a powdered sugar buttercream is much sweeter. Fondant is very sweet, but if you roll it thin enough it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:10am
post #15 of 23

Blueberries.

Blueberries pair very well with lemon.  You could make a blueberry filling, or you could add blueberries to your lemon cake, then make a lemon curd filling.  Or you could mix blueberries into your lemon curd filling.

CakeDecoRookie Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:31am
post #16 of 23

Alright,

Sounds like to me I'll be making a lemon cake with a raspberry filling... how exactly do I do that?? Do I just but buttercream on the bottom cake part first, then filling, then buttercream on under-portion of the top cake part?  But if it's a rasberry-buttercreme filling do I still need to do that step?

Any advice would be helpful

P.S. I'll deffinitally be doing the meringue based buttercreme and rolling the fondant out thin as well... Does anyone know a good meringue based buttercreme??

Thanks

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:57am
post #17 of 23

One of my favorite cakes is raspberry lemonade.  I make it with  4 layers of lemon cake filled with 2 layers of raspberry filling and one layer of lemon curd.  It is delicious, and so pretty when cut.  It is usually frosted with lemon buttercream.  

After much trial and error, I found the Cake Boss raspberry filling to be the best.  It is full of flavor, but not thin and runny.  Even so, a thin layer is plenty, and I always put a dam of buttercream around the outside of fruit fillings and curds to prevent oozing out the sides.  (I use RLB's lemon curd recipe).  I think it is OK to post the raspberry filling recipe as it is widely available on the internet (see below).  If you wish to have a lighter filling, or to make lemon or raspberry frosting, mix lemon curd or raspberry filling into SMBC or IMBC,  approximately 1/4 cup per 2 cups of buttercream, adjusting to taste.  

You can put a layer of filling on top of a layer of buttercream as you mentioned above, but that makes the layers more prone to slip and slide.  If you want to use a fruit filling and buttercream as a filling, I might suggest alternating ie: cake, filling, cake , buttercream, cake, filling, cake. 

HTH

RASPBERRY FILLING

Source:  Cake Boss

Notes:  yield 1 cup

keeps 1 week refrigerated

keeps frozen at least 3 months                       

Ingredients

12 ounce bag of frozen unsweetened raspberries

½ cup sugar

1 tsp lemon juice

2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur like Chambord (optional)

Directions

Thaw raspberries in a strainer, collecting juice.  This will take several hours or overnight.  Add enough water to make ¾ cup liquid.   Set aside the drained berries.  In a small saucepan combine raspberry and lemon juices, sugar and cornstarch.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.  Remove from heat.  Strain remaining berries to remove seeds.  Add pulp and liqueur to cooled mixture in saucepan.   Stir well and refrigerate for several hours until  completely cool.  

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:19am
post #18 of 23

AIf you can get fresh raspberries another option would be to do a layer of BC with chambord or raspberry extract and then layer raspberries, slightly crushed, on top. I personally don't mind the seeds as one would eat them anyway. I like the freshness of real berries whenever possible.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:48am
post #19 of 23

AI am one that once I bite down on the first pip, the cake is discreetly spit into my napkin, and the cake is passed to my husband. Unless the cake itself is really good, I will eat around the filling ;-) they just get caught in my teeth so bad! I had one stuck between my front teeth at a wedding once, and then chipped a veneer trying to get it out! It cost $80 to fix it. Not worth it!!

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:17am
post #20 of 23

Strawberry would be my choice! A mixed berry would be just as good.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:07am
post #21 of 23

I did a lemon sponge with raspberry buttercream (I think it may have been IMBC - can't remember, though, so don't quote me!)

I didn't like it...  I can't quite explain, but it was like the sharpness of the lemon and the sharpness of the raspberries were competing.

It wasn't HORRIBLE....  but it wasn't as lovely as I was hoping.

White choc goes nicely with lemon.

CakeDecoRookie Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:42pm
post #22 of 23

Alright, one more question about filling cakes (hopefully).  Can I "fill" the cakes frost them, put fondant on it, and store them?? I'm a little worried that the filling will make the cake layers soggy and it would really save me time if I could do it before hand.

Thank you all for all your great advice!!!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:24pm
post #23 of 23

AYup, you can fill and cover a week in advance, you can bake and freeze your cake even further in advance if you want :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%