Smooth Ganash Under Fondant.

Decorating By AnimalGirl91 Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 4:46pm by HajraK

AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 22

Just wanting know how everyone gets a smooth, even frosting or ganash for under fondant i have heard lots of tricks but none seem to really work for me, i use mostly ganash under fondant.

Apologise for quite a few questions on here just have a HUGE cake coming up and im beyond freaking out!!!  icon_eek.gif

21 replies
VanillaTree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaTree Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 22

Google "Inspired by Michelle".  She has an awesome 3 part tutorial that covers this very thing.

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 22

This is also a great video on how to get very smooth ganache using the upside down method. Good luck!

http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/2012/10/simply-ganache-a-tutorial/

AnimalGirl91 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 22

You guys are legends!! im going to try both methods icon_biggrin.gif

VanillaTree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaTree Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 22

Here's the link to "Inspired by Michelle" first tutorial.  You can click through to the 2nd and 3rd from there.  

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 22

There's also a full step-by-step class at craftsy, taught by Jessica Harris. She uses the upside down frosting technique with both ganache and swiss meringue buttercream.

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/video-tutorial-upside-down-frosting.html

http://www.jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/craftsy-class-cake-design-2-ruffles-and.html

nonabassam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonabassam Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 22

AReally useful these links above thanks

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 22
There's another craftsy-like site, called CakeMasters...I haven't seen any postings about it, so I think it's fairly new...
Jacqueline Butler and some other very well-known cakers are teaching there...

Once you register for free, there's classes you can buy, but there's also 2 free classes available right now...

One is taught by Linda Harden, from Whimsical Cakehouse....
She prepares a cake to be covered in ganache, ganaches it, decorates it, etc.
Her method involves the cake board on the bottom, and top, like a lid, which makes it so easy to get perfect sides...
Even Jessica Harris mentions the method at the end of her post at the link above...

I LOVED this class....
She points out that the Wilton smoother (which she doesn't name, but you can clearly identify), has one straight edge and one rounded...I had NEVER, EVER read or heard that anywhere...I immediately paused the class to go check mine and sure enough, it's true...
Obviously, you'd use the STRAIGHT edge, butted up against another to get a sharp fondant edge at the top...

Her finger placements on the smoothers are important, she shows how to do it and the awesome result!

PS....her bottom fondant edge, which she used a knife to cut around, is flawless, I love it!

Here's Linda Harden's free class, if interested:

While you're there, click on Artists, to see the very cool group they have lined up.
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 22

I meant to add (but it's not letting me edit), that at no point does the cake need to be flipped, which always scared me anyway...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 22

Thank you all for the links.  I am so interested in wanting to use ganache on all my cakes now.

AnimalGirl91 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:54am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots 

There's another craftsy-like site, called CakeMasters...I haven't seen any postings about it, so I think it's fairly new...
Jacqueline Butler and some other very well-known cakers are teaching there...

Once you register for free, there's classes you can buy, but there's also 2 free classes available right now...

One is taught by Linda Harden, from Whimsical Cakehouse....
She prepares a cake to be covered in ganache, ganaches it, decorates it, etc.
Her method involves the cake board on the bottom, and top, like a lid, which makes it so easy to get perfect sides...
Even Jessica Harris mentions the method at the end of her post at the link above...

I LOVED this class....
She points out that the Wilton smoother (which she doesn't name, but you can clearly identify), has one straight edge and one rounded...I had NEVER, EVER read or heard that anywhere...I immediately paused the class to go check mine and sure enough, it's true...
Obviously, you'd use the STRAIGHT edge, butted up against another to get a sharp fondant edge at the top...

Her finger placements on the smoothers are important, she shows how to do it and the awesome result!

PS....her bottom fondant edge, which she used a knife to cut around, is flawless, I love it!

Here's Linda Harden's free class, if interested:

While you're there, click on Artists, to see the very cool group they have lined up.

this sounds very intersting icon_biggrin.gif im gonna google search this now! that guys for the great links. i love this site!!

AnimalGirl91 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:23am
post #12 of 22

I encourage EVERYONE everyone to watch the above Linda Harden videos!! they are amazing! 

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:08am
post #13 of 22

save

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:44am
post #14 of 22

I actually could not get Linda's class to work even after registering on the site...It was not listed under one of the free tutorials.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:14am
post #15 of 22

I had the same problem.  It took a while to find it.  And when I did it wouldn't play past the intro.

AnimalGirl91 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:25am
post #16 of 22

did you guys find it?

If not heres instructions that i got from  the site

Please make sure you are registered in order to watch the tutorial and follow the steps shown in the video above:

• Go to 'Courses' then click 'Free Tutorials' - you will be directed to the page which shows the free tutorials we offer.
  • Click 'Launch' to whichever video you wish to watch - clicking this page will direct you to the overview page. 
  • Select/click the title of lesson on the left side of the webpage (or else an introduction video will keep playing.). 
  • HIt play.
  • Click the fullscreen icon to maximise viewing area

Please chat with us if issue still unresolved.

AnimalGirl91 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:28am
post #17 of 22

https://support.cakemasters.com/entries/23551951-How-to-watch-a-tutorial

theres the link to intrusction on how to play the videos 

FlourPots Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 8:21am
post #18 of 22
On the home page, you can scroll down to "Access Our Free Tutorials Here" or click "Courses" at the top of the page, then "Free Tutorials".

Both will take you to Linda's class & Kaysie Lackey's mini lesson on making a fondant bow...

Click the little pink box FREE, next to Linda's listing, not the actual video there, it's only a minute long clip...
Then click LAUNCH...

From there, you'll be taken to the lessons....click "Layering & Filling" on the left-hand side, to start the first lesson...
Continue down, one after another.

You have to be logged in, of course...and if you ever want to re-watch it,  just click "My Courses", it'll be right there for you.
AnimalGirl91 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 8:39am
post #19 of 22

i posted the link for the instructions but they must have deleted it?

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:13am
post #20 of 22

Thanks to all the posters in this tread for the great tips and info on ganache! I came out of my comfort zone recently and started using ganache under fondant, and would NOT go back to buttercream!!! No comparison regards to the smooth velvety texture and fantastic flavour of ganache!!!  Practice makes perfect!

FlourPots Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:00pm
post #21 of 22

That's very strange...

When I posted how to locate and watch the videos, I was replying right after auntginn... AnimalGirl91, your 2 posts after her now, weren't there??

Must be a site glitch...

In any case, I hope everyone who wanted to access the videos was able to.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:46pm
post #22 of 22

I think I might have gotten it to work this time. Although I did not do anything differently than what I did before - the website just seems to actually direct me to the right video this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%