Heirloom Icing (Cooked Flour) Question

Baking By BeesKnees578 Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 7:19pm by JaeRodriguez

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:36am
post #1 of 5

I use this in my gobs aka whoopie pies.  It's so good!  I didn't even think to use it as a cake filling/icing.  Then just reading through posts, someone had commented that this is her signature icing and what she is known for.

So...if you read this and that is you, please reply!

Anyway, I am wondering if this has to be refrigerated AND can you use it under fondant?

Thanks for any help!  I am just tired of making buttercreams (not American...trying to not use shortening) and having them taste like butter.  They taste great and feel good in your mouth right after they're whipped and then if they've sat for awhile it's just kinda gross to feel like you are eating a stick of butter.

My most recent attempt was Nick Malgieri's.  Which I love fresh off the whip.  But after trying a cupcake that sat for a day, I couldn't eat it.  BUTTER....

Maybe the heirloom does the same after it sits?

Any suggestions? 

I used my own American style buttercream which everyone likes but I wanted to get away from the Crisco, which was half of the fats in it.  Maybe I can use that for cupcakes since there is more icing/cake ratio and you would notice the butter like consistency more?

You'd think I was new at this gig, but it's been 10 years and I still doubt myself..lol!

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:44am
post #2 of 5

Could you please post the recipe, and maybe PM the instructions since The Powers That Be are no longer letting people post what the flap to do with the ingredients, once you assemble them? Unless you have a link?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:48am
post #3 of 5

I used all butter...

Heirloom Frosting
24 Services, or enough for a 3 layer 8 inch cake.

1 cup milk
4 tbsp flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter (or you can use all butter or all shortening)

Whisk together 1 cup of milk and 4 tbsp of flour. Cook over low heat until very thick. Let cool to cool room temperature.

(Optional: You can process the sugar for a short period in a food processor. This may or may not make a difference, and was not in any recipe I have seen.)

Cream together 1 cup of fat (either the shortening/butter mix, or all butter), and 1 cup of sugar. Make sure to fully cream these together, at least five minutes. Once the butter is light and fluffy, add the cooked flour mixture. Mix until it looks like whipped cream. You can add vanilla extract towards the end of the beating process.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:55am
post #4 of 5

My professional OPINION would be that it doesn't need to stay chilled on the cake, but if you were storing it, you should refrigerate it. And as far as holding up under fondant, I doubt it, with all that air mixed in. I think it would break down, but there is only one way to find out! ;-) Let us know if you try it!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 5

Hi BeesKnees, 

I don't think it would hold up under fondant but I have piped rosettes with it and it held up fine on the cake overnight without being refrigerated.

I think that it is a great alternative for a whipped icing- I just don't imagine that it could hold up under fondant like an SMBC or IMBC would.

I use it from time to time when I am tired of using my AMBC recipe.  It's so good! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%