Looking For An Awesome Chocolate Cake Recipe- Milk Chocolate Preferred

Baking By pamalbake Updated 18 Apr 2013 , 1:55am by AnnieCahill

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:51am
post #1 of 10

I have yet to find a chocolate cake recipe that I love.  Being a milk chocoholic, nothing has satisfied me yet. I have tried 5 so far- 2 from the internet, 2 from TCB, and 1 from Toba Garrett. Haven't found a milk chocolate recipe- that might be a red flag?  

So anyone, recipe?  Chocolate like a milk chocolate bar- not deep dark chocolate. 

Thanks

9 replies
skinnydesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skinnydesserts Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:54am
post #2 of 10

I have never tried it but my sister gave me a recipe for a chocolate cake made with milk chocolate and cocoa. You might give it a try, it's an Austrian recipe.

400g all purpose flour

3 eggs, room temp, divided

125g butter, soft

300g powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

70g milk chocolate, finely grated

70g cocoa

375ml milk (3.5% fat)

3 tsp baking powder

(optinal: cherry jam for glazing)

1. cream butter. gradually add sugar, egg yolks, cocoa, milk chocolate and vanilla extract.

2. add 3 tbsp flour and as soon as it is absorbed at 1-2tbsp milk. proceed till finishing milk and flour completely.

3. whisk egg whites and carefully fold under the dough.

4. add baking powder.

5. bake for 30-45min at180°C/°F350 (don't preheat oven!)

6. cool completely inside the closed oven.

7. glaze with jam

I hope you understand everything as I am not a native speaker. Let me know if you tried and how it went :)

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:11am
post #3 of 10

AThis one is suppose to be very yummy.

https://m.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184

pamalbake Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 10

I am trying it now.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you.

mumto3madboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumto3madboys Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 10
hi there

here is one for you to try,

6” square or 7” round (mixture divided in 2 tins)

225g self rasing four 
225g butter
3 large eggs
225g golden caster sugar
4 tbsp buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g - 150g milk chocolate dependant on how chocolatey you want it!

this mixture is to be divided between 2 cake tins!

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Base line, grease and flour your cake tins.
 melt the chocolate in the microwave on 30 seconds bouts, until the chocolate has just melted, making sure that you stir well in between each 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.

Sift the flour into a bowl.

Cream the sugar and butter together using a hand or stand mixer for about 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Making sure they are combined well scraping down the mixture from the sides. 
Meanwhile beat the eggs together in a measuring jug with the buttermilk. Add a little of the flour to the mixture to prevent the mixture curdling when the eggs are added. Slowly add the egg mixture to the sugar mixture making sure that all is combined well. Next slowly add the flour making sure after each addition the mixture is again combined well. You will need to scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure what has risen on the sides are also combined well into the mixture.
Add the chocolate to the mixture making sure there are no steaks and the chocolate in mixed in completely.
Empty the mixture into the lined cake pans and cook!

not sure on this recipe as i haven't tried it yet but thought i would pass it on just in case as it does have "real" chocolate in it not just cocoa powder! i too am after the same good chocolate cake recipe but with real chocolate and haven't found one yet! - unless it is this one!!!!!!
pamalbake Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 10

So- I just made this cake and it is delicious.  However, it is dry.  I am still having dry cake problems for some reason. 

Here are the items I did different: I used cake flour, sifted and had to preheat the oven and I took it out when done instead of leaving in the oven, due to my dry cake issues.  That would have really caused an issue, baking too long on either end.  I wasn't sure what type of cocoa, so I used regular ( not dutch processed) and whole milk.  The cake did have cracks all over the top but with it being somewhat domed, I'd carve it off anyway.  Also, wasn't sure what size pan to use, so I used 2 - 9" pans and it filled them at least half way full, so good choice.

I also wasn't sure if I should keep adding the milk and flour in tablespoons, so I did.  It took quite a while this way, so I wonder if I could speed up that process.

The taste is perfect! Hah- the batter was delicious so I knew the cake would be too, unlike the other recipes.

Thank you so much. You should try it and it you do, please let me know how it turned out. 

Yummy, milk chocolatey.

Finally.  Now to cure the dryness of my cakes.

pamalbake Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much.  Please see my post to the recipe above.  It was so good.  I will try yours too.  Please let me know if you try either one of these and how they turn out.

Thank you.

mumto3madboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumto3madboys Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamalbake 

The cake did have cracks all over the top but with it being somewhat domed, I'd carve it off anyway.  Also, wasn't sure what size pan to use, so I used 2 - 9" pans and it filled them at least half way full, so good choice.

I also wasn't sure if I should keep adding the milk and flour in tablespoons, so I did.  It took quite a while this way, so I wonder if I could speed up that process.

when i have tried other chocolate cake recipes with real chocolate my cakes too did crack on the top but when i have just used cocoa powder they didn't?! not sure why!  i usually just add my milk in with my eggs then make sure that it is mixed in well then i will add all the flour but just fold it in and mix with a silicone spatula not mix it with a hand or tabletop mixer. 

i am thinking that maybe with real chocolate recipes we might be better using smaller amounts per cake tin which would mean less time in the oven which would also mean less waste but if needing to make a 3 - 4 layer cake then it could mean baking time is alot longer as you would have to cook 3 or 4 cakes instead of just 2. 

i will be making the chocolate in the recipe i put further up the board at the weekend and i am going to try dividing the mixture 4 way instead of 2 and i will update you! if it works then it will be great until we find the "perfect real chocolate" recipe!

pamalbake Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:31am
post #9 of 10

Awesome.  I loof forward to hearing how it goes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

If you are looking for something with a very mild chocolate taste, why don't you make the German's Sweet Chocolate cake?  Just buy the Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate (green box) and use the recipe on the inside.  You can obviously fill and ice it with whatever you want.  You don't have to use the pecan-coconut icing.  That's about as mild and milk chocolate as you can get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%