Best Food Mixer Brand?

Decorating By AmyKY Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 2:34am by Margie171

AmyKY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKY Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

AHey guys :) My old mixer has deceased :( to be fair it was cheap + had a fair lot of use and I am in desperate need of a new one. Preferably heavy duty as I want to make sugar paste etc. I am totally unsure on which to go for. Anyone have a recommendation for a good model? Many thanks in advance x

12 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 13

AKitchenaid. No need to look further.

AmyKY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKY Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 13

AGreat stuff! Thanks :)

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 13

KitchenAid is good, but so is a Cuisinart 7 qt.  With the Cuisinart, you also get a better and longer warranty than KitchenAid.  I've heard that a lot of people are having problems with some of the newer KAs.  If you can get a refurbished older one, you may do okay.  I have both a KA and a Cuisinart.  My KA is the smaller mixer (5 qt I think), but I've had the Cuisinart for over a year now and have had no problems with it whatsoever and absolutely love it.  My KA is still functional and I like it, but needed something bigger so got the Cuisinart.  I use the KA along with my Cuisinart when I'm doing some heavy duty mixing for baking.  My personal preference would be the Cuisinart, and that's what it boils down to.....your personal preference.  Whichever one you buy, be sure to also by the beater blade for it.  I have one for each mixer and love them.  Really cuts down the number of times you need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides.  Good luck with your decision and purchase.

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 13

KitchenAid.  I have a 5.5 professional and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  Buy the extra paddle beater with the silicone scraper, I never use the paddle that comes with it.  Mine's only 2 years old and haven't had any trouble at all.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 13

I have a few KA 6 quarts and a cuisinart 7 qt and I use the KAs all the time. The Cuisinart bowl is awkwardly designed, IMO.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 13

AI absolutely LOVE my KA and I've had it for several years. I got it as a birthday gift from DH and he says its the best gift that he ever gave me, I would have to agree it is one of the best gifts he had ever giving me. I too bought the paddle that people are talking about, it scrapes the mixer bowl while its mixing so that you don't have to stop it and hand scrape the bowl. You need to make sure that you buy the right size paddle for the size mixer that you buy. I bought my paddle at a cake supply store but I have seen them in a kitchen supply store or online. Here's what the extra paddle looks like, again make sure that you buy the right one for the mixer that you do buy.

https://www.thewestviewshop.com/mobile/product.asp?itemid=4637

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 13

Yeah- ditto what kazita said.  KA 5.5 qt uses the same accessories as the 6 qt, but the others are not interchangeable.

visa3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visa3 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:07am
post #9 of 13

Hi, just saw your answer about the KA beater with the scraper

I just bought  one and it makes noise..... I don't think its supposed to.

A- does yours and B- any ideas why mine does?  I know this isnt't

what the original was about, but thought  ya might know.

Thanks is advance 

Clarissa

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:59am
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by visa3

Hi, just saw your answer about the KA beater with the scraper  I just bought  one and it makes noise..... I don't think its supposed to. A- does yours and B- any ideas why mine does?  I know this isnt't  what the original was about, but thought  ya might know.  Thanks is advance  Clarissa

Did you just buy a new mixer or the new scraper paddle? If its the paddle make sure that you bought the right size one for your machine, they do come in different sizes. Anyways if you have a KA you can do what is called as "The dime adjustment" put your regular paddle on your machine that came with your KA and do as this video says.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eNwhrqJVkYc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeNwhrqJVkYc

Hopefully that will solve your problem and you'll be able to use the new paddle , that is if you have the right one.

If you have the other KA here's a video dime test for that one. m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnETNExLc0&feature=related

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:09am
post #11 of 13

AI see you're in Europe, you might find other brands that are as good, for less than a KA is going to cost you. The Kenwoods seem to be well regarded over there.

Margie171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margie171 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:27am
post #12 of 13

A

Original message sent by AmyKY

Hey guys :) My old mixer has deceased :( to be fair it was cheap + had a fair lot of use and I am in desperate need of a new one. Preferably heavy duty as I want to make sugar paste etc. I am totally unsure on which to go for. Anyone have a recommendation for a good model? Many thanks in advance x

Margie171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margie171 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:34am
post #13 of 13

AMost def a KA..... I have a few & for the most part. ....SATISFIED. I have the CLASSIC(refurbished), 6qt, the artisan (my fav) &another classic that my grandma found at a garage sale for $50..... which was missing some buttons &accessories. ..but worked a little better than my refurbished one...thx grammy.......but u can call KA directly &their prices are better than the dept stores &have good promotions that include attachments. Dept stores only come with attachments usually during holidays....hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%