Chocolate Panels/shards - What Do You Use?

Decorating By Setty Updated 29 Sep 2013 , 5:38am by Setty

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:44am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I've recently been making a few cakes with chocolate panels on the side and I prefer when they all turn out with a nice smooth uniform surface to them. I'm not after a shiny finish but a smooth unmarked look.

I normally use baking paper as the base and was wondering what others use. They turn out ok with the baking paper but I think they could look better. I have used acetate before but that resulted in patches being shiny whilst others were dull.

I know I could temper the chocolate but am reluctant to go that way due to the time factor and also that I usually have my two small kids running around who could distract the most focused person in the world icon_razz.gif

Very interested to hear of other peoples experiences.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

You could try polishing the acetate with cotton wool before spreading the chocolate on.  This is what I do with my chocolate moulds to stop the tempered chocolate having dull spots. 

Setty Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:10am
post #3 of 6

Just in case anyone happens upon this thread I have discovered that using laminate pouches produces a great result. I peel them apart and use the inside surface to spread my chocolate on. Comes of cleanly and creates a beautiful matte finish :-D

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

Can you explain to this American what a laminate pouch is?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 1:00am
post #5 of 6

Thermal laminating pouches? For documents, badges, luggage tags, and the like?

You do realize that the inner surface of these (and of loose laminating film, as well) is coated with a hot-melt adhesive, right? Doesn't exactly sound like "Good Eats" to me.

Setty Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 5:38am
post #6 of 6

The things you put through a laminator to seal documents etc. I'm not telling you to use them but I have - no one has died. I'm not trying to poison people just so you know.

(And I don't think cling film or baking paper or microwaves are that healthy either.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%