How Do I Make Modelling Chocolate?

Decorating By wickedpops Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 8:22am by wickedpops

wickedpops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wickedpops Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 7

AHi there everyone, apologies if this has already been asked in another thread. But ive been looking at ways to make my own modelling chocolate and all of the recipies state use melted chocolate and light corn syrup. I lile in the UK and ive no idea what light corn syrup is they dont seem to sell it here. Can anyone tell me please what the UK equivalent is? Also, can I use candy melts or do I need pure chocolate? Does anyone know the quantities to get a good pliable modelling chocolate. Thanks guys :0)

6 replies
ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 7

Hello! I'm not from the UK but I just googled it and found a few recipes:

Also I would not use candy melts...good quality chocolate is better icon_smile.gif

http://cakesdecor.com/CakeBoutiquer/blog/10

http://www.thecakemakery.co.uk/guides/how-to-make-modelling-chocolate.html

Hope that helps!

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

Tate and Lyle's Golden syrup is close but not the 'equivalent'....apparently in the international aisle of supermarkets there is sometimes 'karo' corn syrup; but I've never seen it.

There are recipes out there using golden syrup...I shall be trying these this summer. have a try first to see how it goes for you....(I've tried ganache twice now and still not totally happy with the result....)  Good luck x

Icedand Sliced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icedand Sliced Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 7

I used 'baking chocolate'(sugar content as well as the cocoa butter contents are much less than your everyday eating chocolate) and I found that you have to use it immediately after setting in the refrigirator.  the recipe I used will follow.  I wil try using our everyday eating chocolate, it might taste better as I strive to make all my cake EVERYTHING edible and it could make it more pliable to mold and form as we desire.  the recipe differs from colour of chocolate.  I have only tried it with your normal milk chocolate colour as it is not as bitter as your dark chocolate or as sweet as your white chocolate.

Homemade Modeling Chocolate.

200g Milk Chocolate

30ml Golden Syrup

Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwafe or on the stove top(using a double cooker).  Mix until ALL chocolate is melted and smooth.  Let chocolate cool down for a little bit(should still be melted but not as hot as directly from the stove top or microwave).  Then mix in your syrup thoroughly, you will see that it will start to make a dough form as you mix and will get thicker and thicker as mixing the syrup.  Mix until it forms a 'dough ball'.  Wrap tightly in a piece of cling film or place in a air tight container.  Place in the refrigirator to set for about two hours. 

I found that after setting in the refrigirator for two hours(making it with baking chocolate) mine was VERY hard that not even my husband could work it through to be pliable.  I litery could only use it for grated chocolate splinters.  I placed it in the microwave oven for literally a FEW seconds and only then I could start working it through to make it pliable.  Dont know if you have golden syrup in the UK.  Hope this helps.... 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7

http://cakestyle.tv/how-to-make-modelling-chocolate/

This may be of help on how to make it.  Don't know about a substitute for the corn syrup though.  Sorry

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

Hiya,

I'm in australia and I use Queen brand Glucose syrup which is readily available in the baking section at the supermarket. Hope you can get it over there!

Recipes as follows:

300g chocolate (dark, milk or white)

100ml glucose syrup for white chocolate

or

120ml glucose syrup for dark/milk chocolate

Melt your chocolate (either in the microwave or double boiler) until it's smooth and lump free.

Heat the glucose by standing the jar in a bowl of hot water (makes it easier to pour and measure). Measure out the required amount and heat it some more - I usually pop mine in the microwave for a few seconds.

Add the glucose to the melted chocolate and stir it vigorously until its well combined - gets a bit tough after a few seconds!

When you are happy with the mix tip it out onto some plastic wrap and wrap it up and pop it someplace cool (not the fridge!)

Let it sit at room temp for about a day then its good to go.

Can be a little bit grainy at the start but that just means you have to knead it a bit and get it nice and workable. You will end up with oil on the your hands but thats normal icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!!

wickedpops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wickedpops Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 8:22am
post #7 of 7

AWow, thanks everyone for your help and advice, much appreciated. I will take a look at the websites you mentioned and recipies and have a go later today will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.:grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%