Help Needed For Spiderman Cake

Decorating By ny20005 Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 9:48am by ny20005

ny20005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ny20005 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 11

AHi, I'm a hobby baker & have only recently started to use fondant

My son has requested a spiderman cake for his birthday so I bought red & black fondant but am struggling to see how anyone does the web - any online tutorials all seem to use royal icing or buttercream

I don't think I could get icing or buttercream black enough - I've tried making black buttercream for cupcakes before & it just turned grey

I've seen a tube of wilton black icing but don't know if that would bleed into red fondant ??

Any help or advice would be much appreciated !

10 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 11

Does the web have to be black?  I've seen many Spiderman cakes where the web is white, so maybe that would be an option...?

To get black icing, it's easier if you start with chocolate buttercream, then add your black to that.  I'm not sure on your question about the Wilton black bleeding.  You could try a test piece first.

ny20005 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

AThanks, I'll try the colouring chocolate buttercream & see how that goes. I tried to colour white the last time

I'd have to order wilton tube online so don't want hassle or expense if I wouldn't work

mrsmurders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmurders Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 11

I use the wilton black buttercream in the tube for all my black accents. I never have a problem with it bleeding when used on fondant. I exclusivly use this for frozen buttercream transfers if i need black. It can be a little thick depending on what you are using it for so i just warm it in the microwave a few seconds and good to go.  HTH

ny20005 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 11

ABrilliant thank you

I'll order it & do some practice cupcakes first with both & see which works best

Thanks everyone :)

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 11

I've colored choc. BC black several times....very easy and gives a nice black color. Use Americolor or Wilton, if you can't find Americolor :)

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 11

Hello!I

I think in the past one thing I did was just simply use the Wilton gels.  They come in small tubes, mostly intended for writing on cakes.  They are small and cheap.

Hope that helps!

usaribbon.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:09am
post #8 of 11

I used an extruder with Duff's black fondant to make the web on the spideran cake I made.

ny20005 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 7:35am
post #9 of 11

AWow that's amazing Elcee ! Off to order an extruder now so I can practice

Thanks so much everyone :)

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 8:11am
post #10 of 11

On my Spiderman cake I used a clay extruder. It got to my hand after awhile, but at least the webs were consistent.

ny20005 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 9:48am
post #11 of 11

AStunning debidhm !!! Can't wait for my extruder to arrive now so I can practice !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%