Looking For A Good Recipe To Make A Multi Level Marble Cake - Light&moist

Baking By Whirlwind Updated 22 Apr 2013 , 2:25am by Whirlwind

Whirlwind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whirlwind Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:28am
post #1 of 17

AHi everyone,

I've been studying this forum for a while now, but just decided to sign up as my daughters birthday is coming up, and I'd like to ask you cake wizards for some recipe recommendations, because I plan on going all out! I've made cakes from my mom & grandmas recipe books to random, highly recommended recipes on the internet, but I don't think any of them will cut it this time, I want to find an AWESOME recipe that has been tested&loved by you fellow cakesters - something light and moist, not too sweet

I plan the cake to be a 3-4 layer, 2 level marble cake with a whipped ganache frosting, and marshmallow fondant as decoration

I hope I don't sound like another newbie, but I'd like to hear some personal opinions&recommendations Bubba's birthday's a month away so I have some time to practice&experiment

Thanks in advance!

16 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 17

There are plenty of cake recipes for white and chocolate cake.

NONE of them comes with a guarantee.  Because none of us can sit there with you in your kitchen and make it work right for you.

How to get a cake to come out well:

read the instructions to use the right ingredients without substitution

choose a recipe that weighs the ingredients

follow the instructions exactly without substitutions the first time you make the recipe.

Borrow from public library or buy a book on cake technique to teach you how to bake well (Dorie Greenspan, Wayne Gisslen, Toba Garret)

Whirlwind Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 17

ARight, I understand nothing comes with a guarantee, every oven, pan, etc bakes differently, so I wasn't asking for guarantees.

I didn't say I was having trouble baking, I try to follow instructions to the t (and use a scale), I just wanted to try something that might taste better than what I've been making - and was wondering if any of you would have anything you'd like to share so I can try (guess I'm better off using google)

But thanks for the input, I'll be sure to check those guys out

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:03am
post #4 of 17

This is my new favourite vanilla cake recipe:

http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/2011/12/yellow-butter-vanilla-cake/

It's super yummy.

I haven't tried it, but the hershey's chocolate cake recipe seems to be a big favourite on this site. So maybe try those two marbled together.

Others here have suggested just subbing out half a cup of flour for cocoa powder so that the batters rise in the same way, and basically taste the same, just the colour being different.

I tried a marble cake recently (mud cake, so the recipes won't help you, sorry) and made the blobs of batter too small, and it came out more spotty than marbles. Next time, I'm going to do much bigger amounts of each flavour batter.

Hope this was helpful!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:50am
post #5 of 17

AHere's the Herseys chocolate cake recipe that has been going through here. ..

https://m.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184

Here's Toba Garetts yellow cake recipe I've heard good things about both these recipes. Make sure to weigh your ingredients out and than mix your yellow cake than just add a cup of the chocolate cake batter in hopefully it works out. You'll have a lot if extra chocolate left over make some chocolate cakes or cupcakes. Best of luck and HAPPY BAKING :grin: www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Moist-Yellow-Cake-109358

Whirlwind Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 4:17am
post #6 of 17

AThank you both :) I appreciate your input!

kazita Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 4:33am
post #7 of 17

A

Original message sent by Whirlwind

Thank you both :) I appreciate your input!

You're welcome and keep coming back that's what the site is for to have your questions answered. HAPPY BAKING. :grin:

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:30am
post #8 of 17

No problems! Let us know how it went. icon_smile.gif

kazita Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:09am
post #9 of 17

AHere's a old thread here from cc with a recipe sounds interesting.

cakecentral.com/t/690556/marble-cake-recipe-help

Whirlwind Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:10am
post #10 of 17

AKazita, I tried the ones from your first post, both tasted great - though I did decide to improvise with toba's yellow cake Instead of making both the Hershey and toba cakes and marbling them, I decided to divide toba's in half and add some chocolate squares to one half, and then marbled It probably didn't turn out the wAy it should have, but it was delicious nonetheless I still have to try the one mcaulir posted, I'm getting there :) by the time her birthday comes il have it all figured out Packing on the pounds! Lol

kazita Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:17am
post #11 of 17

A

Original message sent by Whirlwind

Kazita, I tried the ones from your first post, both tasted great - though I did decide to improvise with toba's yellow cake Instead of making both the Hershey and toba cakes and marbling them, I decided to divide toba's in half and add some chocolate squares to one half, and then marbled It probably didn't turn out the wAy it should have, but it was delicious nonetheless I still have to try the one mcaulir posted, I'm getting there :) by the time her birthday comes il have it all figured out Packing on the pounds! Lol

Sounds good that's kinda what a lot of people do , they make the yellow cake take some out add cocoa to that than put it back in and marble the cake. Sounds yummy....you simply must share.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 4:30am
post #12 of 17

I have a box-mix-based strawberry marble that isn't half-bad, although I'm still working on getting the volume up on it (probably bump it up to 1 1/3 boxes, the next time I bake one).

Start with 1/2 cup of seedless strawberry jam in your contrast bowl, beaten with a fork to break up the cohesion, and whatever box white cake mix (after all, you don't want it to look like you bled into the contrast batter) seems to work best for you in the main batter bowl, mixed according to the box directions, adding 1/4 tsp of McCormick imitation strawberry extract (or the equivalent) to the batter. As soon as it's integrated, but before it's thoroughly mixed, draw off a cup of batter into your contrast bowl, and add another 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract, and a bit of red food coloring. Mix both batters thoroughly, then combine in the pan, the usual way.

Frost with a strawberry BC: To 1 lb of powdered sugar, I add 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 stick), 1/4 cup of strawberry jam, 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract, red food coloring (you want a light pink), and milk, as needed. Keep it as thick as you can stand to mix at first, then draw off some of the frosting for decoration, before thinning the rest to a spreadable consistency. Tint a small amount of what you drew off green, then add another 1/4 cup of strawberry jam, another 1/4 tsp of extract, and a bit more red food coloring to the rest of what you drew off (you want it to be red), and mix thoroughly. Pipe strawberry shapes onto the cake, in red, with green stems.

kazita Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 6:38am
post #13 of 17

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

I have a box-mix-based [I]strawberry[/I] marble that isn't half-bad, although I'm still working on getting the volume up on it (probably bump it up to 1 1/3 boxes, the next time I bake one).

Start with 1/2 cup of seedless strawberry jam in your contrast bowl, beaten with a fork to break up the cohesion, and whatever box [I]white[/I] cake mix (after all, you don't want it to look like you [I]bled[/I] into the contrast batter) seems to work best for you in the main batter bowl, mixed according to the box directions, adding 1/4 tsp of McCormick imitation strawberry extract (or the equivalent) to the batter. As soon as it's integrated, but before it's thoroughly mixed, draw off a cup of batter into your contrast bowl, and add another 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract, and a bit of red food coloring. Mix both batters thoroughly, then combine in the pan, the usual way.

Frost with a strawberry BC: To 1 lb of powdered sugar, I add 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 stick), 1/4 cup of strawberry jam, 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract, red food coloring (you want a light pink), and milk, as needed. Keep it as thick as you can stand to mix at first, then draw off some of the frosting for decoration, before thinning the rest to a spreadable consistency. Tint a small amount of what you drew off green, then add another 1/4 cup of strawberry jam, another 1/4 tsp of extract, and a bit more red food coloring to the rest of what you drew off (you want it to be red), and mix thoroughly. Pipe strawberry shapes onto the cake, in red, with green stems.

Well now I'm hungry for this cake lol and I can't stand long enough to bake, I had surgery on my foot and it won't heal right. So now here I sit mouth watering for this cake hummmm this sucks!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 12:24pm
post #14 of 17

AAwwwwwww, I hope you get better soon Kazita xx

kazita Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 17

A

Original message sent by cakealicious7

Awwwwwww, I hope you get better soon Kazita xx

Thank you so much! Yeah its really sucking bring injured

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 8:10pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita 

Well now I'm hungry for this cake lol and I can't stand long enough to bake, I had surgery on my foot and it won't heal right. So now here I sit mouth watering for this cake hummmm this sucks!

Happy to be of service.

Whirlwind Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 2:25am
post #17 of 17

Ahbquikcomjamesl, I read your recipe first thing this morning, and it made my stomach growl It sounds delicious The ingredients will be on my next grocery list! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%