Advice Please...

Decorating By pamelaswedding Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 7:05am by kazita

pamelaswedding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamelaswedding Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:00am
post #1 of 8

I am going to make my daughters wedding cake for August. I have some ideas that I would like to get your opinions on. 1). I think i can freeze cakes and cup cakes a month ahead of time. Right? It will be a red velvet cake, 3 small tiers and cup cakes. Should I buttercream frost them before freezing or just wrap them in saran? 2) I think I can start practicing royal icing roses, that I want to cover the cake with, and  freeze the good ones to apply them to the cake a day or two before the wedding. Right? 3) i wonder if there are any tricks to getting roses to stick to the sides of the cake once it is thawed and frosted. 4) Here is how i think this will be set up:  On top of a tiered cake stand the 3 cake layers will be stacked and covered with roses. The tier underneath will have a plate of the cupcakes with rose tops and four more plates of cupcakes will form the base. 5) I think the flowers are going to have to be piped on to the many cup cakes the day before the wedding and that scares me. I want the whole top of each cupcake to look like a rose so I am hoping some friends will  be able to help. Is it possible to do this ahead of time ? (I am thinking it isn't)  IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ADDRESS ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS I THANK YOU SO MUCH!! 

7 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:04am
post #2 of 8

Quote: "2) I think I can start practicing royal icing roses, that I want to cover the cake with, and freeze the good ones to apply them to the cake a day or two before the wedding. Right? 3) i wonder if there are any tricks to getting roses to stick to the sides of the cake once it is thawed and frosted."

If you'd like to make buttercream roses, you can make them in advance—let them air dry, and they'll dry enough to handle and place easily plus they'll still be soft enough to cut with a knife and eat. (You could break a tooth if trying to eat RI roses that are hard as a rock!)

If you freeze freshly-made roses, they'll only return to the same soft (perhaps droopy) state that they were to begin with—much better to air dry.

Stick roses on with a dab of buttercream or pipe leaves around them to help them stick. If you're building a cascade of roses, start at the bottom so the lower roses can help to support the rest as you build upwards.

Unlimited Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:08am
post #3 of 8

I don't know why this didn't show in my post—I had to retype it!

No!!! You can't freeze RI roses—they won't dry and moisture will break RI down. Let them air dry.

pamelaswedding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamelaswedding Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:41am
post #4 of 8

thank you. I was just watching you tubes and realized i meant buttercream.How far ahead can I make them if they are to air dry?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:53am
post #5 of 8

AYou probably want fondant/gumpaste flowers for the cake. You can make them months in advance they are very fragile and need to be stored in s cool dry place out of direct sunlight. You can't eat them they dry rock hard.

kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:56am
post #6 of 8

AI had most of these darn questions answered and I hit a button on my phone and it deleted all of my post....NO!!

Unlimited Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:58am
post #7 of 8

At least 4 days ahead—a week or more wouldn't hurt either.

kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 7:05am
post #8 of 8

AYes you can freeze a cake ahead of time. Wrap it in cling wrap a couple times and put in freezer. When it comes thawing take out of freezer leave in cling wrap put on counter and let thaw. Yes you can freeze cupcakes but I'm unsure of how to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%