How To Make Chocolate Ganache?

Decorating By Angels Bakery Updated 2 May 2013 , 8:45pm by mcaulir

Angels Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angels Bakery Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 20

So I am making a guitar cake for a guy at church. He loves chocolate so I wanted to try choclate ganache under my fondant instead of buttercream. Can I even do this? Do you guys have any tips?

And also what is the best recipe for chocolate ganache?? And once it's made how do I do it?

I'm only two months in, but I really feel like this is my thing, ya know? =)

So thank you for all of your help. ♥ 

Thank you =)

19 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 20

I guess you could use google--ever heard of that?  Type www.google.com into your browser, and then type "ganache recipe" into the search box. Take your pick of the results.

Me,  for a chocolate lover, I would make  a chocolate cake with ganache and  cover it with modelling chocolate.  Skip the fondant altogether...

But hey you're the "Angels" Bakery so maybe you need a different source.

Strubbette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strubbette Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:02am
post #3 of 20

Wow. Maybe I read that wrong, but that response didn't sound very nice. Perhaps you just shouldn't have responded at all.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:21am
post #4 of 20

I don't think "BakingIrene" was trying to insult you with the last line; I think she was making a humorous allusion to an all-chocolate cake being "Devil's Food."

Although I would say that her suggestion of a Google search could have been phrased a bit more politely. (But it's not like she gave you a link to LMGTFY.com; now THAT's an insulting way to tell somebody to do a Google search!)

At any rate, I seem to recall that Alton Brown actually demonstrated the procedure for making ganache on one of the chocolate-themed episodes of Good Eats; I believe most or all of the series is available on YouTube. (Which brings us back to a Google search.)

Cyndibear 08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndibear 08 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:23am
post #5 of 20

AI agree with you Strubbette. Wow, this site is for help and learn. I know a lot about ganache but not a ton about fondant. So, I'd ask questions about that. Some may think I'm inexperienced. So be it. Respect, we are all at different levels. Yes Angels bakery you can use ganache under fondant. In my searches in learning, check out you tube for using ganache under fondant. Even under the tutorials on here show ways of using thick ganache and smoothing. It's just basically chocolate and heavy cream. I've never used it under fondant yet. I have used it to ice a cake. Sorry not much more help.

Cyndibear 08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndibear 08 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 20

ASavannahcustomcakes on YouTube has a great video for making ganache :)

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:06am
post #7 of 20

Hi I've done ganache under fondant a few times. I use this

It's on youtube from "Inspired by Michelle" I use her ratio for ganache and technique all the time. (I've used the dark and white chocolate ratios). Part two tells you how to smooth it on and part 3 tells you how to cover it in fondant. She's great!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:29am
post #8 of 20

Angels Bakery...

Here is a link for many topics relating to ganache on this forum.

http://cakecentral.com/newsearch?search=ganache

The link put up by Danilou is superb for beginners....

Just to let you know - incase you weren't aware...

There is also a *search* area at the top of the page (right hand corner) which enables you to type in what you are looking for....

That's how I came up with the link above for you.

Sometimes depending on the time - you could wait a little whole for other CC members to get back to you...so that might help you/ come in handy  in those times.

Enjoy using ganache....

Bluehue

Angels Bakery Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 20

AWow, y'all are awesome! Thank you :) And yes I've only been doing this since Valentine's this year so I'm still learning. But God has given me great resources, including all of you guys... and I'm very grateful :) Thank you again, I can't wait to try it out!!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 20

AI really like answering peoples questions if I can , if I have trouble answering the question I will either not answer the question or I myself will do a Google search find the answer and bring back the link for the question. Thats what this site is ALL about to learn from each other .

HAPPY BAKING. :grin:

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 20

@Angels Bakery, are you new to caking or to this site?  When I joined I was not a new caker but seeing all the talent I felt like a novice.  If you are new to caking altogether the word "Bakery" to a lot of people implies that you have a certain amount of experience.  So I can understand why BakingIrene might be taken back abit.  Only she can explain why she commented in that way.  

I also enjoy helping others but don't have all the answers.  When I need help I run to you all for answers.   I opened the thread because I recently tried covering a cake completely with chocolate ganache and it was wonderful.  I had not used ganache for about 2yrs and even then it was only the top of the cake.  I loved it and so did everyone else.  I Want to learn more about using is as this may be how I cover my cakes from now on.  Thanks for your help all.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 20

ANasty unhelpful comments will result in banning. The member post in question has been deleted, please make no further mention of it.

Sorry not all on CC are as helpful as they should be.

Angels Bakery Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 20

AI really appreciate you guys so much :) I'm really excited to try it out!

Angels Bakery Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 20

AI really appreciate you guys so much :) I'm really excited to try it out!

inf4mousmj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inf4mousmj Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 20

Hi Angels Bakery,

I use Planet Cakes recipe for ganache. For best results use couverture chocolate with a cocoa content of 53-63%. Also, if you're using white chocolate the ratios differ, I surely found out the hard way and ended up with White Chocolate soup lol. Let us know how you get on.

absolutelysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutelysweet Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:27pm
post #16 of 20

AI have a few problems with this but I have found that if I make sure the bowl is dry and if I put half the amount of cream to chocolate it works out every time with milk or dark chocolate ie 600 chocolate 300 double cream. If white chocolate then I do 600 chocolate 250 double cream thickens up really quick and sometimes I even use a electric whisk it makes it go really white. X

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 2:07am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutelysweet 

I have a few problems with this but I have found that if I make sure the bowl is dry Indeed, if there is any moisture in the bowl it can make your chocolate seize.and if I put half the amount of cream to chocolate it works out every time with milk or dark chocolate ie 600 chocolate 300 double cream. If white chocolate then I do 600 chocolate 250 double cream thickens up really quick and sometimes I even use a electric whisk it makes it go really white. X  Yes, these are good ratios.
Bluehue
BakingIrene Posted 2 May 2013 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Bakery 

So I am making a guitar cake for a guy at church. He loves chocolate so I wanted to try choclate ganache under my fondant instead of buttercream. Can I even do this? Do you guys have any tips?

And also what is the best recipe for chocolate ganache?? And once it's made how do I do it?

I'm only two months in, but I really feel like this is my thing, ya know? =)

So thank you for all of your help. ♥ 

Thank you =)

Well here is my two cents worth.  My  post had three brief sentences. I don't see why somebody reported it so offensive that I was banned for ten days. 

♦I said "use Google and use the links as you (OP) see fit".  A Google search produces links to well-illustrated  blogs, recipes with ratings/feedback, videos.  How could anybody possibly  presume to filter these options for a total stranger?  It works much better for the OP to choose specific links from the results of  their  online search.  The forum can then offer useful followup.

♦I said "for a chocolate lover you (OP) can make a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and modelling chocolate and  skip the fondant altogether".  That was  literally a statement of a possible direction  to make a special chocolate cake for somebody the OP identified as having a great fondness for the food. NO backstory, NO hidden message, NO implied reference to any X-rated  "applications" of ganache.

♦I said that the OP might be looking for divine intervention instead of a Google search, I implied that OP ascribes divinity to him/herself with the self-chosen username "Angels Bakery".   Ascribing royalty to oneself as well as ascribing divinity to oneself is offensive to many religions and cultures.

Self-chosen usernames like "Queen of Cakes" and "Angels Cakes" and other usernames that explicitly claim a form of royalty or divinity should be prohibited by Cake Central Management because this online forum appears worldwide.

Yes there is a difference between "Angels Bakery" and "AngelFoodCaker".  Yes some cultures name babies "Angel" or "Jesus" but this isn’t about legal names, it’s about somebody choosing a username to represent their cake-related persona. 

Prayers are an incredibly personal matter and I don’t believe that people should be invoking them publicly online to get results.  The universal proverb  "Deity-of-worship helps those who help themselves" applies here.  Learn to find good resources that teach YOU to bake and decorate well.  Then you will make good cakes and happy recipients.

BakingIrene Posted 2 May 2013 , 8:14pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Bakery 

Wow, y'all are awesome! Thank you icon_smile.gif
And yes I've only been doing this since Valentine's this year so I'm still learning. But God has given me great resources, including all of you guys... and I'm very grateful icon_smile.gif
Thank you again, I can't wait to try it out!!

I am addressing this issue as a separate post because my stomach has been turned too many times by CC forum posts  about disgusting food handling practises.  Reading CC cannot possibly be worth my time any longer.

The OP stated that they first began learning to bake in mid-February and that they planned to make a cake for somebody else in April less than two months later. More posts from the same member about other cakes for other people...

A BAKERY is an operation that follows all local food regulations and pays all its workers at least local minimum wage.  A BAKERY has passed a Board of Health inspection, and uses safe-food practises to produce baked goods for sale.  A BAKERY provides all legally-mandated  nutritional and ingredient information on printed labels. 

A baker is anybody who mixes flour and liquid and cooks it long enough to be edible.

FOOD SAFE PRINCIPLES AND PRACTISES APPLY TO ALL FOOD THAT YOU ARE PREPARING FOR SOMEBODY ELSE.  Exchange of money is not a critical factor. The Divine commandment "do to others as you would have them do to you" is the absolute rule to be respected.

Depending on where you live, you may be PROHIBITED from selling baked goods unless you have built the equivalent of a separate commercial kitchen which has then passed a Board of Health inspection. 

Depending on where you live, you may be PROHIBITED from selling baked goods containing certain ingredients from even a certified home kitchen.

There are other health regulations such as how raw and cooked foods must be stored, that YOU are required to find out for YOUR local  area. YOU are ethically required to follow these rules whether you have a certified kitchen or not.  The Divine Inspector IS WATCHING.

IT IS UTTERLY UNETHICAL to agree to bake a fancy decorated cake for somebody else BEFORE you have tested recipes and/or techniques for yourself.  How dare you take the risk that you may ruin somebody's wedding or other special event because you didn’t learn and practise before you made a promise to deliver!!!!! 

You read it on the web?  You saw it on TV?  Randy Bachman said it best: "You ain't seen nuttin' yet".  The very best, fastest, most effective way to learn to bake is HANDS ON with the ingredients and the teacher in the same room as you the student.  And part of what you learn is FOOD SAFE work habits.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 2 May 2013 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

I am addressing this issue as a separate post because my stomach has been turned too many times by CC forum posts  about disgusting food handling practises.  Reading CC cannot possibly be worth my time any longer.

Yes, perhaps your very valuable time would be better spent elsewhere. Neither of these posts contributed anything very helpful to this community.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%