Cake For My Nephew Who Is Turning 16 .. Need Some Advice/tips

Decorating By iCookiBake Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm by iCookiBake

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 4

So I am going to be making a cake for my nephew who is turning 16 on the 16th, however I am making it for saturday since we are having a little get together for him.

I'd say there will be probably about 20 - 30 people .. no real count because it's one of those houses where people always pop in and out so you never know who'll be around. My sister has 4 kids plus a foster and they all have friends that might be around. Plus I have kids, and another of our friends also has a bunch of kids... that's why I say could be up to 30 just to be safe.

I was thinking cutting out the numbers like this cake below.

What size pans would you recommend baking in? Also need to make a cake that doesn't fall apart when I'm cutting, or should I just freeze it to get it firm ? I am fine with using box mixes.

I found a tutorial where you print out the numbers and put on top as a guide for cutting it, so that part should be fine. Then just frosting it probably very similar, in white with colorful flowers and edging, probably blues and greens.

Any kinds of tips or advice would be great.

11x15 double layer WASC w/BC icing, cut outs.  Cake for for my daughter's friend.

^^ made by member of CC: tarisca

3 replies
iCookiBake Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

Ok never mind, I pretty much got it all figured out on my own lol PLEASE DISREGARD.

I don't want anyone to think I am totally clueless icon_surprised.gif

since I obviously cannot delete this thread.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 4

I would never think that.  From time to time we all get freeze brain. icon_lol.gif and need to just say it to think it out.  Good luck on your cake and Happy Birthday to your nephew.

iCookiBake Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your kind words .. I am looking forward to making this cake, and hope it turns out half as beautiful as the one in this picutre that I 'borrowed' !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%