Is This Just Roughly Applied Buttercream ...

Decorating By anneuk Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 3:14am by meriam

anneuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anneuk Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 14

I just saw this cake that had been passed to me by a friend... I'm fraid i dont know where it originates from or would have credited it.... I will be happy to edit if its anyones from here :)

But are the cakes just buttercream roughly applied as it looks or is it a lot more tricky...and is the colour sprayed on?

My friend is looking for a cake and this has struck a cord with her..

13 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 14

You are correct on both.

anneuk Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 14

Anyone done one like this? Is it trickier than it appears? I think it is beautiful but looks very simple.... I am sure however it took a huge amount of skill :)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneuk 

Anyone done one like this? Is it trickier than it appears? I think it is beautiful but looks very simple.... I am sure however it took a huge amount of skill :)

It's not tricky -- it is simple -- it doesn't take much skill... homestyle iced basically means any homemaker can do it.

Frejasmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frejasmum Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 7:22am
post #5 of 14

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2975744/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hi Annieuk, I made this one which was for a baby shower looks quite similar , I am an amateur and found this technique pretty easy, I found a tutorial when I googled it, have a look here

http://javacupcake.com/2012/08/blue-ombre-cake-tutorial/

You basically just do it with a spatula

anneuk Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:40am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frejasmum 

Hi Annieuk, I made this one which was for a baby shower looks quite similar , I am an amateur and found this technique pretty easy, I found a tutorial when I googled it, have a look here

http://javacupcake.com/2012/08/blue-ombre-cake-tutorial/

You basically just do it with a spatula

Very pretty!!!! x
anneuk Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:48am
post #7 of 14

did you use different colour buttercream or spray the colour on? x I see the tutorial uses diff colours.

Frejasmum Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:10am
post #8 of 14

AHi Anne, I used different coloured buttercream, just graduated the colour slightly

anneuk Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:42am
post #9 of 14

I think that makes more sense... I was worried about the airbrush paint sitting ontop of and dripping down the colours :) Something else for me to have a go at now..... :)

Frejasmum Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 14

AGood lunch Anne, post a pic, I am pretty new to decorating and found it really really easy, if I can do it anyone can ;)

Frejasmum Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 14

AThat was meant to be luck

meriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriam Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 14

this post is interesting for me,as i m not a professionnal baker,and i m gonna make a wedding cake with buttercream effect like this.

i love the cake you showed,anneuk,the ombre effect is so well done!

i m not really confident about the buttercream i can use to hold its shape,and not melt in hot weather.

the ceremony is gonna be in a place with no air con,and it s quite hot weather here.

can someone help me with the kind of buttercream i can use,please?

do i have to use an all shortening based buttercream(i don t really like the taste),or do i have to stick to an italian meringue buttercream:i ve heard that its more stable than swiss meringue buttercream.

please,share your experience,because i m a bit lost;

perhaps if we take the cake out of the fridge just before serving it could be ok,but i think the bride would like to put it on the dessert table.

after that i will try this technique ,i ve seen it a wile ago but never have the opportunity to try it.

thanks for the link frejasmum,that s interesting.

i hope to get some help,please.

Frejasmum Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:06am
post #13 of 14

AHey meriam, I made this on a rather warm day, it was just an all butter buttercream with about 100gs of melted white chocolate mixed in, I make a chocolate cake that is ok to go in the fridge, it did start to melt a bit so I whacked it in the fridge in a large airtit container, took it out about an hour before serving and it was beautiful still.

meriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriam Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:14am
post #14 of 14

oups,i nearly missed your replies!!did nt get the notification on my mail box!!

frejasmum,thanks a lot for your answer,your buttercream sounds yummy with white choc.,but i m afraid that white choc is not really stable in this hot and humid weather!!(i live on a tropical island!!!)

i never use white choc though,so i can t be sure of that.

Do you think cream cheese frosting is more stable? 

perhaps i should make an all butter BC,i keep on waiting some advices,please.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%