Coconut Oil And Frosting

Decorating By CountryMom11 Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 3:41pm by DebbyJG

CountryMom11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryMom11 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 4

AHi! I am wondering if anyone has used coconut oil in their buttercream frosting or in fondant? I have made buttercream frosting and used coconut oil instead of shortening and it tasted good and spread good etc, but it was for in the middle of cookies. I am wondering how it would hold up with decorating a cake? Would it loose it shape if it became too warm etc? Thank you

3 replies
LisaKinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaKinVA Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 4

It would absolutely lose its shape in heat.  Butter can sit on my counter during the summer and get really soft.  Coconut oil turns to LIQUID during the summer on my counter.  

CountryMom11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryMom11 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 4

AThank you :-) That's kind of what I thought, but I figured never hurts to ask! Was kind of looking for a "healthier" alternative to shortening.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 4

AI use Spectrum palm shortening. But I only use it for little things like nonsticking my hands when I'm kneading fondant. I only use butter for my BUTTERcreme, so I haven't thought of using my shortening for that. I have been thinking about using my raw vco though in my recipes to sub out butter in my cakes! I'm addicted to coconut oil in everything else so I'd like to try. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%