Ganache Disaster!!

Decorating By cakealicious7 Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 5:37pm by cakealicious7

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 11

ASo I tried making ganache for the very first time and it was horrible!! I used a 70% cocoa dark cooking chocolate and double cream( I'm from the U.K. ) and it turned out sludgy. I added more double cream to sort the consistency out but the taste was just vile- it was sooo bitter that I eventually added icing sugar but it did nothing,what did I do wrong? Any help appreciated.

10 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 11

Your ganache can only taste as good as the chocolate it was made with so if you use cheap cooking chocolate this is what it will taste like.  My suggestion would be to source some good quality couveture chocolate.  Yes, you will pay more for it but it will be worth it for the taste.

cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 11

AIm from the UK so I tried an organic chocolate called Green and Blacks, I thought it would be good quality but obviously not!! Do you have any suggestions for me? Much appreciated.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 11

I'm in Australia and I personally have a preference for Callebaut (Belgium chocolate) but any good couveture should taste good. 

Joanna04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna04 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 11

AHi, maybe try using dark chocolate with less cocoa content, I know that I enjoy it more. I use chocolate with about 50% cocoa. I believe Peggy Porchen in one of her books, uses glucose to add sweetness to her ganache, when she uses chocolate with 70% cocoa . Another way, you could perhaps mix it with milk chocolate half half. Hope that helps a bit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sammi-Jo-**********/101097173352052

cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 11

AThanx guys will try it out,hopefully will be better next time!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 11

I dispise green and blacks!!! yuck yuck yuck!! lol

There are lots of different types of cocoa from different places and theirs is just one I don't like! You could try lindt or hotel chocolat, they use a much less bitter cocoa or, and this is what I do, make ganache with good white chocolate (I get it bulk now but lidle's is good as it has a high level of cocoa butter) and I add really great cocoa (can't for the life of me remember what its called right now but i'll check the cupbard later and post for you)

So I don't think you did anything wrong :)

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 

Im from the UK so I tried an organic chocolate called Green and Blacks, I thought it would be good quality but obviously not!! Do you have any suggestions for me? Much appreciated.

Hi cakealicious, my FIRST attempt at ganache I used the dark chocolate (Lindt and Gr&B's) in a ratio of 2:1, Choc : double cream. The husband and guests  ALL complained that it was too strong a taste for them.

So last week I tried again, using Gr&B's milk cooking chocolate ratio 3:1 (it works out a little cheaper to use the "cooking choc").  I got quite a good workable result, except my parents then complained it was' too rich' a base for under the sugarpaste!

I can't win icon_razz.gif

It probably comes down to individual palates...keep a record of brands of chocolate you used (with their %cocao) in a note book until you hit on the right thing for you.  Good luck

cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 11

A@ crazy- gray Lol I too now absolutely hate green and blacks! And some really great advice spireite I will definetly be using thanx guys!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 11

AI use willlie's supreme cacao, venezuelan black is my fave!

And if you add a but too much and it gets too bitter you can always beat in some sugar and butter or add some melted white choc even :-)

cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 11

AThanx for the advice. I will try all of these tips. : )

Hmmmmmmm all of this talk about ganache is making me crave!! : D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%