Standing Figures Dilemma

Decorating By bloch Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 7:21pm by aem1029

bloch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bloch Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:55am
post #1 of 3

hello everyone I need a bit of help here... I have to make a two tier engagement cake with 3D standing groom n bride. I have never done standing figures I wanted to ask whether i should do it like this video here

or should I just use sticks n insert them in the cake. Its really hot here and the humidity is also a alot so need something that will withstand the bad weather cause my fondants keeps getting soft if u know a cure for that also do let me know thank you :)

2 replies
PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 3

I always put a 20 gauge wire from head to torso to help support it. Depending on what positions the arms are, sometimes I use a smaller gauge like 26 in the arms.  Also, it helps if you build the head, and torso in gumpaste it will dry harder and won't get soft and saggy with humidity. (I live in AL :-) lots of it here)  and maybe use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant for the hair and clothes etc...

Hope this helps. :-)

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 3

Definitely use a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste.  It will dry and won't fall victim to the humidity.  I use the cake pop sticks for support.  I haven't done a standing person, but I did do this mermaid and used a cake pop stick to support.  I also did it in sections.  I did the base then let it dry over night, did the tail the next night and let it dry overnight, then the torso, arms and head and let it dry overnight and the last night I did the finishing details of the hair, flower, face.  It seems like a lot of work but each section took no more than 10 minutes.  I also live in high humidity and have "hot" hands, so I found rubbing a little cornstarch between my hands helped as well.                                                 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%