Please Help

Decorating By nancysmom Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 4:25pm by ddaigle

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 19

I have been making cakes for 4 years now. I need help figuring out what I have been doing wrong. My cakes seen to have a line around where the 2 layers meet. It seems fine the day I decorate them, but when I see pictures of them at the party I seem to see a line around it. I use buttercream as a filling and then crumb  coat my cake and fondant over it. Could any one help me with is problem. Here I have attached 2 pictures for you all to see. Thank you. :)

18 replies
nancysmom Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 19

Well only one picture came out here is the other one. 

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 19

Im not sure the official term but its the air coming out from your cake settling.  Alot of people on here reccomend filling your cake then putting something heavy (like a clean floor tile) to lightly press on it, as to let all the air escape before icing it. There are a few old threads about it--ill try to find em!  HTH

Cakes look great BTW!! 

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 19

I see it both cakes.  Let me ask you 2 questions.  #1 When you are putting the layers together do you put top sides together?  That is do you put the 1st layer right side up and the top one top side down?  #2 Do you pipe a line of buttercream around the edge of the cake before filling.

Also I bevel the top of each cake.  I found this made all the difference.  

nancysmom Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 19

auntginn, thank you for helping out. I put top side down on the bottom layer and top side up on the top layer. I do not pipe a line of butter cream when the filling is buttercream. Only when it's a differant filling other than buttercream. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 19

Acakecentral.com/t/633571/my-newest-trick this thread talks about cake bulge.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita 

cakecentral.com/t/633571/my-newest-trick this thread talks about cake bulge.

That is EXACTLY the one I was looking for that I learned from!  thumbs_up.gif

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:02am
post #8 of 19

it sounds as though your buttercream is getting too soft and the pressure of the layers and weight of decoration may be pressing it down and out.  i saw on here the other day that someone uses rolled up fondant as a "dam" so that that doesn't happen.  not sure i like that idea, especially on a buttercream covered cake, but might be worth it to try on a fondant cake.  i haven't had this issue, i generally use a stiffer icing for filling or let the cake settle before i decorate.  hope this helps!

auntginn Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:11am
post #9 of 19

I bevel, pipe and I keep my cakes well chilled through out the icing process.  If I think I've had them out to long, I pop them back into the fridge for a bit.  The icing sets up nicely this way.  Also I do not cover my iced cake with fondant until they have chilled for at least 3 hours. This way the buttercream sets nicely and stays firm while covering with the fondant and can be moved around easily if I need to.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:32am
post #10 of 19

A

Original message sent by Cakemommy2012

That is EXACTLY the one I was looking for that I learned from!  ;-D

Yeah your cake is settling

nancysmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:34am
post #11 of 19

cakemommy, thank you I think that's my problem with the bulging. I will try the tile method. 

nancysmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:44am
post #12 of 19

I have always been gentle with my cakes. I never knew to press down on them to get air out. It sounds funny but for now on I will be using a tile piece as one of my cake tools. :)

Cakemommy2012 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:51am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysmom 

I have always been gentle with my cakes. I never knew to press down on them to get air out. It sounds funny but for now on I will be using a tile piece as one of my cake tools. :)

and it is going be one of your cheaper tools!  LOL I will buy the odd tiles at my local hardware store when they are marked down and use them.  I've even bought the bigger tiles and covered them as used as bases!  =-)

auntginn Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:36am
post #14 of 19

What a great idea cakemommy.  I had plexiglass bases and their all gone now.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 19

Hi there, very cool cakes! If you are putting cakes top-to-top (flipping over the top layer so the flat bottom is on top), you have to make sure that there is absolutely no dome left on the cake before you do as it seems to make the filling squidge out. When I started baking, I made this mistake all the time (i hated wasting yummy cake!) until someone told me. Even a slight curve at the edge caused a problem. I have since started using a wet tea towel around the cake tins when baking them and it reduces the dome effect, thereby meaning I have to waste less cake! Hope it helps :-) :-)

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 19

I don't put any weight on my cakes and I dont use a dam if my filling is butter cream.    The only time I have seen a buldge start is when the cake sat out waaaay too long....I mean HOURS and HOURS.  How long had this cake been out? 

ddaigle Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 19

Oops...one other time....I had a tiered cake travel for a couple hours.   I had my supporting dowels cut flush with the top of the cake.  The jarring around and bump road just constantely vibrated the cake the entire trip.   Now, if a cake is traveling, I cut the supporting dowels just very slightly below the icing...if that makes sense.   I make sure the top tier is setteled down good...not squishing the tier it is sitting on....just not as high as before. 

nancysmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 19

No, my problem is the bulging. From not letting the cake settle.  I have been reading about it in leah_s thread. :)

ddaigle Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 19

I know....I was talking about the buldging.     My responses was when I had bulging a couple times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%