3D Wafer Paper Butterflies On Whipped Icing Cake

Decorating By MamaWa Updated 21 May 2014 , 9:21pm by AZCouture

MamaWa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaWa Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:09am
post #1 of 10

I'm thinking about doing a cake with an ombre whipped icing.  For some extra effect, I wanted to attached some dimensional wafer paper butterflies to it.  Has anyone done this?  I'm worried about the wafer paper just melting or dissolving due to the whipped icing and the butterflies going limp.  Any advice on how to do this?

9 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:21am
post #2 of 10

ATrial run. You don't have to make the butterflies or a cake; just put some Wafer paper on your icing.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 2:00am
post #3 of 10

I have done this but not with butterflies. I only frost with whipped icing so I have had to experiment with fondant accents also. My advice would be to dip the butterflies in melted chocolate in the same color as the cake. Just dip the part that will touch the cake. The chocolate forms a barrier and they won't go limp or dissolve. Good luck!

MamaWa Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 10

AThanks Dora! I will try the chocolate. Should I fold the butterflies, dip them, and let them dry overnight to hold the shape?

doramoreno62 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, that is exactly what I would do. But the chocolate will set quickly, maybe 15 minutes or so. No need to wait overnite!

MamaWa Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 10

Dora!  I forgot to thank you earlier for your tip!  It worked perfectly!  Here is a picture of the cake for my baby sister.  Thanks again!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 10

Mamawa - those butterflies are gorgeous and your icing is so smooth - very pretty!

doramoreno62 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 8:12am
post #8 of 10

I agree with JWinslow and I'm glad I could help! Beautiful cake!

MamaWa Posted 21 May 2014 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks Dora and JWinslow!!!  It took a lot patience to get it that smooth.  It is the one thing that I'm always terrified about.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 10

What a pretty cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%