Molding Rkt?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 26 Sep 2013 , 1:16am by BatterUpCake

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to make a rocket for the top of my son's cake.  I assumed RKT would be the best way to do that, but I can't figure out how to get a good cylindrical shape.  The last time I used RKT, it wasn't very easy and the overall result was kind of bumpy. 

Can I press it into a greased can or something, to really pack it in?

Other ideas?

Thanks!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 8

you can food process the rk then make the rkt if you want

yes you could pack it into a greased can but you wanna make sure you can get it out of there--maybe remove both lids so you can slide it out--maybe line it with parchment too

you could use regular rk  and pack it in real good and use a microplane to shave it smooth

if you have enough cake pans you could just pack it into cake pans & stack it all up too

or if you have nice deep pot...or some empty fondant containers or--oooh a shortening can!!!

or a pitcher...

KarenOR Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

LOL!  I think I can work with one of those!  Thanks.

I took a large pineapple can and cut the top and bottom off.  I'll grease it up and hopefully be able to pack it tight and then get it out.  We shall see :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

to de-can you might want to roll it around on a lit burner to loosen the fat 

i think i would parchment line it because i would hate myself if i had to do it twice

i could console myself by eating batch one but still... ;)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 8

When I did the crayons here:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2925648/a/3305183/crayons-for-yvonne/

I used a plastic squeeze bottle.  I cut out both ends and packed in the RCT using my small rolling pin as a tamper.  Then I used a shot glass to form the tips.  I used Crisco on the squeeze bottle tube and the RCT slid out no problem.  They were still bumpy and I should have coated them with chocolate or candy melts before I covered them with fondant to get them smooth.  for the tips, I lined the shot glass with plastic wrap and they popped right out.

The can idea should work, no problem, but if the can has ridges I'd line it with parchment or plastic wrap first.  Then coat your rocket with either melted chocolate or candy melts for a smooth surface on which to apply your fondant.

KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 12:51am
post #6 of 8

The can worked with no problem. It was pretty easy to push out as well, I just put it on top of a cup and pulled the can down around the bottom until I could pull it all out. I was amazed that it took almost an entire recipe for one pineapple can. I guess I really packed it in tightly ;)

damiller5516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damiller5516 Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

AWhat are all these acronyms?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:16am
post #8 of 8

After you measure out your rice crispies crush them into dust...as advised above either with a food processor or as I do, putting them into a gallon ziplock bag and crusing with a rolling pin. That helps with the bumps. Another method I have used is making a batch of candy clay (modeling "chocolate) and kneading it in with the RKT's (rice krispie treats) or just covered it with candy clay after molding. Here are some pics I did with crushed RKT's then covered in candy clay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%