How Do I Make A Beer Barrel Cake?

Decorating By Lauraaa Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 6:18pm by PLAmom

Lauraaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauraaa Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 3

AI'm making a beer barrel cake for Thursday night and need some help! It's going to be an upright barrel. I know how to shape the cakes but need advice on how to make the planks of wood to put on it. How do I shape the fondant so that there's a curve on it in order to place on to the curved surface of the cake? Just in general, how would you go about making a beer barbell cake!? Any help appreciated, thanks!(:

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 3

i would just cover as usual in fondant then make it look like it was wooden planks

i'd texturize it right away before it sets up then paint it

and place 'metal bands' around it to hold it all together as a barrel

or when you are 'texturizing' see if you can't make the metal bands first--then form the 'boards'

then paint it appropriately

by texturize -- i mean using a sharpened dowel or one of the gum paste tools--mark up the fondant to resemble the barrel

if it's going to be too big to cover like tthat with fondant--then i would get a poster board--the flexible kind and use it as a mold--set it up in a drawer--like a filing cabinet or in some big cake pans or whatever so it holds the shape--tape it up and lay fondant strips in there till they dry

i'd add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cornstarch to each pound of fondant so it dries nice & crispy

some peeps would add a couple teaspoons of tylose

--i feel a beer barrel polka coming on icon_lol.gif

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 3

I made a cake I mixed white and brown fondant to give look of wood and cut in planks. I didn't worry about exact because real ones arent. Textured with sharp tool to look like wood grain and applied to cake (I didn't let it harden first) . After I dusted and colored some more and then added bands.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%