Air Jordan Sneaker Cake Disaster In The Making....

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 4:20pm by tina0719

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:57am
post #1 of 29

Ugh.... I agreed to make an Air Jordan shoe cake for my husband's co-worker's wedding taking place tomorrow.  I spent the week pacing myself...baking, leveling, icing, freezing, carving.... Today was "GO" time and I spent the day decorating this beautiful shoe I had lovingly created.  Then things went to pot.  It started to look HUGE (although she DOES want it to be a size 14!) and then around hour 6 of decorating, the heel started to buckle.  I realized that this was not going to be a success and it was time to bite the big one and rebake, remake, etc.  

So here I am - 6pm.  I have the buttercream ready & I am baking the last of the cakes.  Normally, I bake, wrap, freeze, etc... but I obviously don't have time for that.  I am trying to hard to keep my composure and not TOTALLY wig out and I can't wrap my brain around how I am supposed get this cake settled, leveled, layered, carved, & iced all in one night.  Preferably as quick as humanly possible so I can get to decorating.  Again.

Also - the heel collapsed on me.  I am assuming it is because of the weight/height?  The shoe was just under 6 inches tall at the "ankle" and I did not use any supports - I figured it could get away with not using them.  I am also rebaking the cakes as my center layer was a teeny-teeny bit under cooked and I think that played a part as well.  *sigh*

And I just need to get this out...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

28 replies
micaelasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micaelasmami Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 1:04am
post #2 of 29

i feel your painicon_sad.gif let it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dukeswalker Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:47am
post #3 of 29

Still trying NOT to freak - but it is 7:45 and the cakes are rapid chilling/settling in the freezer with a cookie sheet & muffin tins weighing them down.  Do you think I can pull them out when they are totally cooled and ice them & cover with fondant tonight?  I'm hoping to get to work on the details ASAP...

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:13am
post #4 of 29

I've decorated cakes that have been out of the oven for about an hour. I am not sure how weighing the cakes down while they are in the freezer will help your cause. But I don't know why you can't get them iced and covered tonight. Take a deep breath and know, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

dukeswalker Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:21am
post #5 of 29

Thank you wildflowercakes!!  I've got them cooled, the basic "shape" cut out, stacked, and iced between layers and that baby is now sitting in the freezer again so that I can carve that sucker into a shoe and get it crumb coated & covered with fondant!  GAAAAHHHHH!  Ive never rushed it like this - EVER.

wildflowercakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 29

I hope you can post a pic, I bet it turns out great (in everyones eyes but yours, we're our own worst critics)

dukeswalker Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:45am
post #7 of 29

WASC cake & vanilla bean buttercream.  All fondant accents.

Here it is!  Air Jordan size 14, take TWO!  I somehow got it done and I am so stoked at the way it came out. I had a few breakdowns and as my husband so kindly noted this evening, after ordering me a 2nd mojito, "it was like you lost confidence in your ability to make cakes.".... I simply needed to step away, sleep and wake up ready to go.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:19am
post #8 of 29

it is awesome! love it

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:22am
post #9 of 29

That is amazing!  Glad it ended well.  Now I want a mojito....

dukeswalker Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

That is amazing!  Glad it ended well.  Now I want a mojito....

hee-hee!  Have TWO!  

wildflowercakes Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 29

Luuuv it!

dukeswalker Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 29

I think this will send you to the other pics of it (side/front.back/etc..)

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2971530/wasc-cake-vanilla-bean-buttercream-all-fondant-accents/u/107983/flat/1/

katiar05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiar05 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:28am
post #13 of 29

AI love the outcome!! Awesome job, I'm very new to cake decorating & I got asked to do one for next month & I have heard horror stories from making this shoe! I'm gonna probably be crying the whole time lol

lescrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lescrumptious Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:49am
post #14 of 29

That is so fantastic looking!!! I know the feeling. I have to make a chainsaw and I am totally not into it,  I am scared and I feel like freaking out, but the only way out is getting it done, lol.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 29

That is nothing short of AMAZING! And you did it in a day! I hope you never doubt your abilities again, because it is obvious that you are not short on talent. I'm trying to figure out how you got the shoestrings through the little loops icon_confused.gif?? Is it rude to ask what you charged? And how manya size 14 shoe serves? lol.Ifso please forgive and ignore the question.

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 29

Wow, unbelievable!  This is one of those cakes that just knocked your confidence up a few notches.  Huge congrats on getting it all (re)done in one day. What a major accomplishment!

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:56pm
post #17 of 29

Yeah...but we want to know what the client thought!

vtanderson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtanderson Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:07am
post #18 of 29

Oh my goodness, it's absolutely perfect!!!  Nice work!

dukeswalker Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:21am
post #19 of 29

AThanks you guys!!!! The client loved it so much that the husband refused to cut it and instead took it home...where it STILL sits in their freezer! Lol!

rdenson23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdenson23 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 11:01am
post #20 of 29

AHey, I'm new here and I was asked to make the same shoe ;-/ nervous lol is there anyway you can let me know ummm like where to even begin

dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 29

1) Make sure you have a shoe just like it - right in front of you...it makes it soooo much easier

2) Watch youtube videos on how other people have carved a sneaker like this one

3) go for a sturdy cake & a sturdy buttercream - sturdy & carvable was of utmost importance (I used WASC & Extra Special Buttercream)

4) If you're making this exact one - I ended up adding in support to the highest part of the shoe (the part that goes around your ankle.  I stacked my cakes with a thin amount of buttercream between layers, wrapped them in plastic wrap and froze them.  Then I took them out of the freezer to carve and THEN I added in the support for the ankle part with a small piece of cake board and bubble straws

5) consider that after you carve it - you will be adding a layer of BC and (several) layers of fondant - which means it will get thicker and thicker.  Proper proportions are key here - otherwise you get the look of a clown shoe.

6) Look at your colors and go with the base 1st and build upon it.  I also built by taking wax paper, laying it over the different parts of the real shoe, tracing it and then using it as a template for cutting out my fondant pieces

7) plan to cry, screw up, sweat and possibly re-make the whole thing.  lol!

GOOD LUCK!

rdenson23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdenson23 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:34am
post #22 of 29

AThanks

katiar05 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:42pm
post #23 of 29

AI was wondering (I'm new to this) do you need a license or permit to sell a cake like this one?

BatterUpCake Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 29

each state is different...you need to Google Cottage Food Laws for your state/city if you are baking at home. You have to have your kitchen inspected. You have to pay taxes....

melimel00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melimel00 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:05pm
post #25 of 29

The cake turned out AMAZING!!! Did you end up using a support in the heel area on the second time around???

Same situation happened to me before...except it seemed to me like the second try came out way better and a lot FASTER than the first cake icon_confused.gifIt happened to me when I first starting out making cakes. Had an order for a square cake, single tier,  fondant covered and decorated. My cake was waaayyyy too soft so when I covered it in fondant, the corners starting slanting and eventually came off. I was in straight PANIC MODE! (this was before I knew the refrigerating the cake before applying the fondant 'trick', so everything I was using was at room temperature)

Luckily it was just a one tiered cake, I knew the people so it was easy for me to re-bake the cake into a round (which I felt more comfortable covering!

Your husband's kind words were so sweet! Always helps to have the support of your other half icon_rolleyes.gif

katiar05 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:17pm
post #26 of 29

Aquote name="BatterUpCake" url="/t/756571/air-jordan-sneaker-cake-disaster-in-the-making#post_7417902"]each state is different...you need to Google Cottage Food Laws for your state/city if you are baking at home. You have to have your kitchen inspected. You have to pay taxes.... [/quote]

How funny I just finished reading it before I saw ur MSG! Lol but being more detailed I meant more because of the Nike logo

BatterUpCake Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:25pm
post #27 of 29

Oh...that's a trademark issue. You need permission from the company.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 7:04pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

WASC cake & vanilla bean buttercream.  All fondant accents.

Here it is!  Air Jordan size 14, take TWO!  I somehow got it done and I am so stoked at the way it came out. I had a few breakdowns and as my husband so kindly noted this evening, after ordering me a 2nd mojito, "it was like you lost confidence in your ability to make cakes.".... I simply needed to step away, sleep and wake up ready to go.

Well done!

tina0719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:20pm
post #29 of 29

AReally nice! So sweet how your husband supports you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%