Working With Chocolate

Decorating By elsbells Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 1:19pm by -K8memphis

elsbells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elsbells Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 8:33am
post #1 of 4

AMorning everyone :) I'm looking for a bit of advice please. I've been asked by my friend to do them a 3 tier cheesecake as their wedding cake (my first wedding cake and she's set the standard high by picking cheesecake!! Lol). Obviously fondant or any other form of icing wouldn't work so as I understand it I'm left with fruit or chocolate? I've ordered some moulding chocolate but would like to know if this is the best option and does it set hard like flowerpaste does? I would love to know your thought and ideas please Ellie Xxx

3 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 8:48am
post #2 of 4

Another thought might be chocolate (preferably tempered) spread onto long textured sheets and then wrapped around the cakes.  Or shorter pieces overlapped around the cakes. You could then fill in the tiers with gumpaste flowers, fresh flowers, fruit or whatever you feel like.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 4

I would guess (never covered a cheesecake) that the moisture and delicate nature of the cake would cause problems covering it with anything paste-like.

I think the tempered choc is a great idea, just imagine the lovely 'crack' when its cut :-) you could maybe pour melted choc over the whole thing and encase it in a chocolate shell? Then you could add modelling choc decorations perhaps?

All conjecture as I've never done it, but I feel like experimenting now! mmmmmmmmm :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

we just buttercream iced or ganached ours

i can't remember if we fondanted anything but i can't see why it wouldn't work

we did one with crust then the second layer (within the ame tier) was crustless

and we even used fruit filllings too -- cheesecake is pretty hale and hearty as a stacked cake

gotta keep it nice & cold of course

oh yeah and i recommend freezing them while stacking-- because they don't scoot at all like cake will ;)

because cheesecake freezes and thaws with ease

my boss would not let me freeze them and she was so wrong for that! icon_biggrin.gif

when i made them from home i froze them of course

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%