Nh Requirements For A Commercial Kitchen?

Business By pipedpink Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 3:50pm by pipedpink

pipedpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipedpink Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 20

Hello everyone!

I have been frantically trying to get information concerning what is required for a commercial kitchen in NH.  I was looking at a stackable convection oven - do I need a hood with that? I've seen yes, I've seen no.  Am I allowed to use "regular" equipment in the bakery or does it HAVE to be commercial?

My sister works in the commercial property management business and is able to get me a beautiful location for pretty cheap - right on the main road of town where everyone will see it!  It was a photography studio before this so it is not set up for a bakery, but I would really hate to pass this up!

I've got a ton of questions that I can't seem to get answers for from the HD.  If anyone here is in NH and has opened their own shop, please help!

19 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 20

Convection ovens do not usually require a hood because there is no open flame. Some commercial equipment, such as a 3-bay sink, grease trap, ansul system, etc, is required. But usually the inspectors don't care if a business uses residential appliances like a fridge, as long as it cools correctly.

I'm sorry for your frustration. Health inspectors are usually quite busy but should still return all calls. Best thing is to call early in the a.m. before they leave for the day's inspections...  Your county HD is responsible for licensing retail food establishments. If the person responsible for answering your questions is not cooperating, call and ask for the supervisor. You can also ask some of the eateries near your potential location about their HD contact info. Surely, someone can give you a name and phone number.    

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 4:48am
post #3 of 20

Have you reviewed this? DHHS website, found by Googling the phrase 'NH commercial kitchen" and this was the first source listed by Google.

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/fp/sanitation/homestead.htm

Page 7 of this PDF, which is linked on the page I posted just above, states commercial equipment shall not be required.

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/fp/sanitation/documents/homesteadfaq.pdf

RedInLove Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:14am
post #4 of 20

I now see that you're looking for a brick and mortar location, not a home business. Perhaps this will help instead?

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/fp/index.htm

Or this:

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/fp/sanitation/food.htm

pipedpink Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:13am
post #5 of 20

Thank you!  I actually didn't realize I needed a grease trap or an ansul system, so that is very helpful.  I am going to speak with other establishments tomorrow to see if I can get a contact name..

Thank you for your help.  I appreciate it! :)

pipedpink Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:15am
post #6 of 20

RedInLove,

Thank you for that information. I appreciate all the help!  I will check out the site and go from there. 

RedInLove Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:34am
post #7 of 20

You're welcome! I'm in southern NH so when you get your shop up and running be sure to tell us!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:47am
post #8 of 20

PRODUCT

COST NEW WHERE Quantity Total Bun Pan Rack on Wheels for Baking 100 Webstore.com   $100.00 Business Cards 50 Guess   $50.00 Business Sign (exterior) 24" lighted 8 letters 3300 Chicago Sign Group   $3,300.00 Cake Pans 300 Fat daddios   $300.00 Cash Register 300 Sharp   $300.00 Convection Oven double stack 6676 Southbend   $6,676.00 Convection Oven Hook Up   Guess   $500.00 Dishers/Scooper 64 Kerkes   $64.00 Drying Rack for Sink 18"x 48" 100 Big Tray   $100.00 Dunnage Rack for Flour 135 Kerkes   $135.00 Freezer 3 Door 4000     $4,000.00 Garbage Can On Wheels  80 Kerkes   $80.00 Grease Trap 400     $400.00 Grease Trap Installation   Guess   $500.00 Hand Sink 89 Webstore.com   $89.00 Hand Sink Installation   Guess   $200.00 High Heat Spatulas 21.2 Kerkes   $42.50 40 qt. Mixer (Berkel) 4800 webrestaurant   $4,800.00 40 qt. Bowls    Guess   $900.00 40 qt. Slicer/Grater Attachement   Guess   $900.00 40 qt. Paddle    Guess   $400.00 Hobart Shipping Cost         40 qt. Mixer Whisk    Guess   $400.00 Ingredient Bins (under table)  295 Kerkes   $1,180.00 Lighting 1000 Guess   $1,000.00 Lighting Installation   Guess   $200.00 Mop 31 Kerkes   $31.00 Mop Bucket 80 Kerkes   $80.00 Mop Sink 200 Guess   $200.00 Mop Sink Installation   Guess   $200.00           Induction Burner 500     $500.00 Paint for Front End 300 Guess   $300.00 Pots LG. 100 Kerkes   $100.00 Pots XL. 116 Kerkes   $116.00           Refridgerator 3 Door 3723 Kerkes   $3,723.00 Scales 30 Guess   $30.00 Scoops for Ingredient Bins 10.25 Kerkes   $50.00 Sheet Pans  8 Big Tray   $320.00 Shelf for Wall By Mixer 11"x60" 103 Big Tray   $103.00 Sink 3 compartment 458 Webstore.com   $458.00 Sink Installation         Soap Cleaning System (sysco) 500 Guess   $500.00 Soap Dispenser 2 87 Kerkes   $87.00 Spatulas 5.6 Kerkes   $50.00 Stainless Steel Work Bowls Lg. 100     $100.00 Stainless Steel Work Bowls Med. 20 qt. 10.5 Kerkes   $105.00 Stainless Steel Work Table 30"x60" 218 Kerkes   $218.00 Storage Racks for Boxes 100     $100.00 Storage Racks For Equipment 18"x48"  100 Big Tray   $100.00 Storage Racks For Food 18"x48"  100 Big Tray   $100.00 Timer Ditgal 4 in 1 60 Kerkes   $60.00 Towel Dispensers 2  200 Guess   $200.00 Vent Hood 4275 Big Tray   $4,275.00 Vent Hood Installation 4000 Guess   $4,000.00 Wall Shelf For Mixer Station         Water Heater 3000 Guess   $3,000.00 Water Heater Installation 1000 Guess   $1,000.00 Website Start-Up 1000 Guess   $0.00                  

$46,722.50

The thing is, there's soooo much to answer to your question, I've avoided beginning. Here's my list of start up costs, as you can see it's incomplete..........but it should give you some basic ideas.

Stitches Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:56am
post #9 of 20

Sorry about my above post. It was the best I could do and when I tried to edit it I'd loose info.. But it should give you a rough idea of things. Believe me, that was based a bare bones start-up..........there's got to be thousands more dollars included to remodel an already existing store for a commercial kitchen. I was looking at renting a blank box store.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:13am
post #10 of 20

Stitches:

Was your list intended for another thread?  OP didn't ask for a start-up list in this thread.

Stitches Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:22am
post #11 of 20

Sorry, your right.........should I delete? I guess I'm even more tired then I realized........that's what's hard about talking here. I'm usually half awake at best.

pipedpink Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 12:45am
post #12 of 20

No! Don't delete. This is perfect!  I am looking to start from the ground up myself and I only have a partial idea of what is needed.

My biggest questions are surrounding inspections, etc. but the equipment needed is very welcomed as well!  Thank you for that. icon_biggrin.gif

pipedpink Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 12:50am
post #13 of 20

RedInLove,

Where are you in southern NH?  Do you have a shop?  I will be sure to come back and let everyone know how things go!  I am very nervous but excited. :)

I'm looking to open just the kitchen at first, then once the business grows, I'll put in the retail area.  The space I'm looking at will accommodate both and it's directly on main st. where there is a ton of foot traffic.

Thank you for your help!

Stitches Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:06am
post #14 of 20

My list does tell you some of what is needed. The room/kitchen needs certain basic items like what I'm listing below. Then you need the equipment and small wares specific to your type of product line.

You need: NSF certified equipment designed for easy cleaning and safety

a 3 compartment sink

a hand washing sink

grease trap

ventilation depends upon your oven type. If you use a gas oven you must ventilate in IL, if you use electric you don't have to ventilate

stainless steel tables

the walls in the kitchen need to be completely washable, I don't know the name of the board but they are plastic coated panels

floor needs to be non-porous

all food and equipment must be stored 6" off the ground on NSF certified shelf's

a bathroom

probably a handicapped equipped entrance and bathrooms

exit signs

good sealing doors so contaminates can't blow in or crawl under your doors

covered ceilings, no exposed wires or places for dust to gather and fall on food

proper wiring 220, because commercial equipment takes more outlet power then home appliances 110

The problem with answering your question is requirements vary from county to county and state to state.....even one inspector can demand something different then another in the same health department. I think you'll come up with a more comprehensive list by doing some google searching.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 4:27am
post #15 of 20

I made a start-up list in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/t/707078/business-expenses

pipedpink Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 20

Stitches,

Thank you. I've finally been able to get a hold of someone in the health department and they gave me a list of what is needed for my inspection.  WOW, do I have a lot to do!  It's crazy! But hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed.  I have a habit of jumping in and hoping it all works out the way I intend it to.  I guess this is one project that I'll have to take my time with! 

Stitches Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:37am
post #17 of 20

While you have all this new info. currently on your mind it would be super cool if you posted it....to help the next person that comes here asking the same questions.

Good Luck!

pipedpink Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 20

Ok so here is what I found out when opening a small bakery in NH.

1. You will need to submit a floorplan to the state. The health department can provide you with the application.
  2. With this application you will need to include the following:
  • Proposed Menu or list of food and beverages to be offered.
  • 2 copies of plans on 11x14 inch paper drawn to scale.
  • The floor plan must include the following
  1. Location of all food equipment. Each piece of equipment must be clearly labeled, marked or identified
  2. location of specific areas where food is prepped
  3. Location of refrigeration - MUST BE COMMERCIAL REFRIGERATION IS REQUIRED. There must be adequate refrigeration and enough refrigeration space to maintain food temperatures and to properly cool food.
  4. Location of sinks
  5. Sinks required are:
  • Handwashing sink.
  • 3 Compartment Sink
  • Food Prep Sink (only if you are having a sit-in restaurant)
  • Service sink (mop sink)
  1. Location of toilet / restroom. At least 1 toilet is required. (does not have to be customer accessible if it is not a dine in facility)
  2. Location of dressing rooms / lockers for employees.  (the guy told me this is not necessary and didn't even realize this was on the application)
  3. Location for the storage of poisonous or toxic materials
  4. Location for storage of clean / dirty linen
  5. Location of auxiliary areas such as storage rooms, basements and/or cellars used for storage or food preparation.
  6. HACCP plan (for specialized food processing like sushi)
  7. Finish Schedule (not sure exactly what this is. Still need clarification)
  8. Pest control plan - (again, need clarification on this as to if I am responsible or the owner of the building.

A commercial oven / range is not necessary - however, a convection oven is probably recommended.  If using an electric range, a vented hood is not necessary. 

This is all I have for now. I'll try to come back and update as I continue on.

Stitches Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:20am
post #19 of 20

WOW, that's a terrific list to share, thanks!

pipedpink Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 3:50pm
post #20 of 20

Very welcome.  Hopefully it will help someone else looking for the same information. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%