Question About Cream Cheese Frosting Under Fondant

Decorating By cakelady524 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 5:14am by crazy4baking

cakelady524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady524 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 10

AI got a cake order for a birthday, it's a round 3 layer red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting an white MMF . I filled it and did a generous crumb coat of the cheese frosting ...so should I go ahead an put on fondant or do a coat of SMBC, then put on fondant?? Thanks in advance :)

9 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

I would never put fondant on a caked iced in cream cheese or whipped icing.  The "decorator's cream cheese icing" on this site is more stable as it is a cream cheese flavored butter cream...but your regular cream cheese icing.......no.   I don't use SMBC, so I cannot comment on that. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 10

i don't know why you would need more icing

but you probably have to keep it at or below 40 degrees unless you have a cream cheese recipe that is safe at room temperature--if it's not specifically rated as such, as safe at room temperature, then you need to assume that it must be kept cold

cakelady524 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 10

AThanks ladies! This customer was very specific about how he wanted this cake for his gf . I told him that being it's cream cheese frosting it must be refrigerated ..due to the dairy product. I told him that fondant over cream cheese frosting isn't a real good idea but he was insisting on it!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 10

Good luck cakelady.....if it sets me up for failure...or is just not a right cake thing to do...I do not let the customer get what they want.    I so hope you have a great cake for this guy.    Let us know!!   And show is pics!!

cakelady524 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 10

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

Good luck cakelady.....if it sets me up for failure...or is just not a right cake thing to do...I do not let the customer get what they want.    I so hope you have a great cake for this guy.    Let us know!!   And show is pics!!

Thanks d daigle :) I will post pics when it's finished!

Fancy Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancy Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 10

AFondant over cream cheese icing is asking for trouble. Any little pocket of air under that fondant is a potential space for mold to form with the cream cheese. I would definitely not take that chance no matter how insistent he is. It's not worth it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady524 

Thanks ladies! This customer was very specific about how he wanted this cake for his gf . I told him that being it's cream cheese frosting it must be refrigerated ..due to the dairy product. I told him that fondant over cream cheese frosting isn't a real good idea but he was insisting on it!

People can insist all they want, but you're the expert. You do only what you are comfortable with and know what will work. Who the heck wants to feel worried about what they're working on, to then have the possibility of someone being upset and demanding a refund? Nope. 

For me---->SMBC with cream cheese filling only, never ever iced in it, I don't care who insists on what.

cakelady524 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 10

This is the end result! Red velvet cake, GF's favorite color (purple), bite size snickers for her border, piped purple SMBC under flamingo and between an on top of the snickers. 

crazy4baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4baking Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:14am
post #10 of 10

did the fondant hold up with the cream cheese frosting on the outside? How far in advance did you cover the cake ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%