Red Velvet Disaster :(

Decorating By CakeCraft kwt Updated 19 Nov 2014 , 12:32am by Jess O

CakeCraft kwt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraft kwt Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 9

I make red velvet cake with my nine inch cake recipe and its always perfect and moist but this time a customer asked for a 10 inch red velvet cake so I used martha stewart's 10 inches red velvet cake recipe. the cake looked alright when i took it out of the oven but when I gave to it the customer the next day, she msged me saying that the cake was really hard as if it had been baked for days! I dont understand what i did wrong and why it became hard? can someone help me out with what could have went wrong :/ and also how do I make a 10 inch or an 8 inch red velvet in the future with my own recipe of 9 inch cake because the new recipe i tried clearly didnt work!

8 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 9

My wedding cake was red velvet - made of tiers of various sizes.  I didn't change recipes when changing the sizes of the pans.  Not sure why you would want to.  ???  Maybe the recipe you switched to just isn't good.  I know...it's Martha.  But, then again, if it didn't work....

Other than adjusting the baking temp and time (turned down the temp and lengthened the time as the pans got larger) I used the same recipe throughout, and it was fine.

Next time, try it with your standard recipe and just make more batter. Bet you'll be happier!

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:50am
post #3 of 9

A

Original message sent by Crimsicle

Next time, try it with your standard recipe and just make more batter. Bet you'll be happier!

This! I am sure you wouldn't look for a different recipe for a smaller cake pan so why switch recipes for a larger one?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 9

I use her red velvet recipe exclusively and it gets raves every time.  The only part that is a little crusty is the top but that gets leveled anyway.  The inside is very moist.  I am not sure what her 10" recipe is, but this is the one I use:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/224271/red-velvet-cake

It is almost identical to Cakeman Raven's recipe.  It's very good.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 9

a 6 " pan has an area of 28.25 square inches (pi r squared)

an 8" pan has an area of 50.25 square inches

a 9" pan has an area of 63.5 square inches 

a 10" pan has an area of 78.5 square inches

The volume of a pan is the area times the height.  Assuming the heights are all the same, then you can just look at the differences in area to see how much you need to increase or decrease your recipe for various sizes.  

2 9" pans have an ares of 127 square inches

2 10" pans have an area of 157 square inches which is about 20% larger.  (It would take about 1/5 more batter to make 2 10" layers the same height as the 9" layers)

OPTIONS

1)  you could use your same 9" recipe in 10" pans and each layer would be 20% shorter (4/5 the height).  

or you could make one 10" and a 6" or some cupcakes with the extra.

2)  you coud make  1 1/2 times your recipe and then your 10" layers would be about 20% taller, or make a few cupcakes with the extra

3) you could double the recipe and make  3 10" layers, each of which would be just slightly taller than your usual 9" layers,  or 2 10" and a 9" to freeze for later, or 2 10"  and 2 6" or....... 

HTH

MsNeuropil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsNeuropil Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 9

I was wondering why Martha Stewarts recipe did not specify what type of cocoa because using the wrong kind can give unexpected results.  I think your supposed to use a "natural" cocoa like Herseys rather than a "dutch process".  This is from the gal that learned to make "soap" cakes as a teens by using the wrong cocoa for the recipe.  LOL!  It wasn't till I was 40+ that I learned that there was a REAL reason my family gave me grief when I first started baking.  I personally never tasted it...but I sure got teased about it.

Could this be your problem? 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCraft kwt 

I make red velvet cake with my nine inch cake recipe and its always perfect and moist but this time a customer asked for a 10 inch red velvet cake so I used martha stewart's 10 inches red velvet cake recipe. the cake looked alright when i took it out of the oven but when I gave to it the customer the next day, she msged me saying that the cake was really hard as if it had been baked for days! I dont understand what i did wrong and why it became hard? can someone help me out with what could have went wrong :/ and also how do I make a 10 inch or an 8 inch red velvet in the future with my own recipe of 9 inch cake because the new recipe i tried clearly didnt work!

First of all your customer needs to return the un-eaten portion of her cake before you can validate a complaint or give her a partial refund.  That is not necessarily due to anything that you did.  Ask her how she stored her cake, when she served it (was it dead cold from the fridge), etc.  The customer bears a fair bit of responsibility for maintaining quality after they accept the cake. 

A totally separate issue: if you have a really good 9" red velvet recipe, stick to that. If you increase the red velvet recipe too much, you start to run into trouble with that step at the end where you add the mix of baking soda and vinegar.  When you mix more batter, that step becomes harder to do properly.

Another thing about red velvet:  That baking soda and vinegar "lift" goes away if the batter sits on the counter for an hour and you then stir it and put it into the pan.  It is safest to mix and bake one recipe at a time when you need a larger pan and have only one pan. If batter has to sit, then you have to use baking powder.

So I would have mixed up your original recipe  to bake the 10" cake layer same depth as your usual 9". You would have some batter left over (it would make a fine 6" cake). The 10" cake would have taken maybe 10 minutes longer than the 9" to bake in my electric oven.  Then I would mix and bake a second time.  YES I do this for big cakes.

YES you should charge more for this extra effort.

CakeCraft kwt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraft kwt Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much guys!! im going to use my original recipe from now onwards and make cupcake or a 6 inch cake with the remaining batter. thanks alot for the useful tips!

Jess O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess O Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 12:32am
post #9 of 9

Hi. I also had a bad experience with my red velvet cake a few weeks ago. Would you mind sharing your red velvet recipe that will be suitable for me to do in my 9 inch square pan please?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%