Smbc Users Opinion Needed

Decorating By javajammer Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 4:20pm by Nin55

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 8

How many of you who use mostly SMBC use a different buttercream for children cakes? I usually use SMBC on most of my cakes. It seems like most children like really sweet buttercream. I'm wondering if I should offer a traditional buttercream for children's cakes. What are your thoughts?

7 replies
Deestar20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deestar20 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 8

I have used both but I think kids are not fussy as long as it is sweet and it is icing to be honest!!

That being said I think SMBC is richer in flavour and normal buttercream would be more popular for kids cakes but I really think it is down to personal opinion. No matter how I make my SMBC ( I use less butter then recommended)  I still think it tastes too buttery in texture so I still prefer very well whipped butter cream :)

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

I think it depends.  If the party is in a park or outside and the cake needed to sit out in the sun or heat for long periods of time I'd consider using American BC.  Other than that I just stick with my IMBC.  

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 8

AMy thoughts exactly, I used to think smbc was to fancy for kids but they love it

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 8

I was making a cake last week and made SMBC.  My grandson (5) was here, so he asked to taste the icing.  He wrinked his nose at it.  However, once I finished the cake, iced it with the SMBC, filled it with blueberries and jam, and added MMF over it, he loved it!   So, by itself, SMBC might not hit a child's tastebuds the right way, but when you combine it with everything else, it's a different story.

However, if you're not using fondant to sweeten the forkful, then maybe ABC might be better.  But...depends on the child!  Like adults, their taste preferences will differ from kid to kid.

EdibleArtbyKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleArtbyKate Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 8

I always stick with SMBC even for children cakes. If you want to make it sweeter, there is the option of melting milk chocolate callets and adding that to the SMBC. Kids love milk chocolate because its so sweet. Hope this helps! =D

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 8

SMBC for every cake, unless I need to use ganache.

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 8

I use SMBC or AMBC-depends on the customer's preferences.  I like either myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%