Help: Indiana Laws/rules For In Home Bakery? Tips And Resources?

Business By bakedindy Updated 1 Apr 2013 , 10:19pm by jason_kraft

bakedindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedindy Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 2

I'm thinking of becoming 'legit' because I'm really starting to get busy, and get requests from strangers.  I need insurance, but I imagine before I can get that, I need to have a legal kitchen.  I’m in need of some guidance in finding the correct resources and rules I need to follow.   Anyone out there run their cakery from the home?

I have a large room in my house that I could split in two and make an approx. 10X14 sized kitchen with its own outdoor entrance.  Does anyone know the health rules and laws on setting something like this up?  It would be part of my house, but closed off to the house with only the outdoor entrance.  So a separate kitchen with it's own outdoor entrance, but attached to my house.  Do you also know the laws about doing this in a home/neighborhood?  I don't have neighborhood association rules to comply with, but where would I find any city/state rules on this?  It would be a by appointment only bakery so not much foot traffic, only for the rare tasting or pick-up. 

Any help on starting an at home bakery in Indiana would be greatly appreciated!  (Indianapolis, Marion County to be exact)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Lisa

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 2

AA good first step would be contacting your county health dept: http://www.mchd.com/fdp.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%