Help With Puréed Strawberries For Cake Mix Please......

Decorating By imadreamer702 Updated 1 Apr 2013 , 7:13pm by ibeeflower

imadreamer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imadreamer702 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm going to try a strawberry cake recipe which calls for puréed strawberries (fresh or frozen) to get most of the seeds out before adding to the cake batter...... Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have a mini food chopper..... Help please! Thank you in advance!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 7

sieve it

imadreamer702 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 7

AWhat does "sieve it" mean? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term...... .??

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

sorry--put the strawberry mixture through a strainer

you'd need to food process the berries or put them in a blender or cook it down to get to a consistency that will pass through the strainer

you'd force it though with a spoon or spatula--just keep stirring, swiping it across the mesh screen in the strainer until it all gets worked through and you can discard the seeds

a hand operated (non-electric) mini chopper will not make a puree

imadreamer702 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 7

AThank you :) I am going to use fresh strawberries, so I am assuming to get the right consistency to pass them through the strainer, I should first boil them to make them really really soft, then step 2 put them in my electric food chopper and then 3 mash it all through the strainer.... Then this makes the purée... And I can then add that to my cake recipe (without seeds) ...

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

sort of--no additional water in the 'boil' right?

i'd add a touch of sugar and some lemon juice

i'd recommend doing some strawberry filling recipe searches to get the feel for it ;)

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imadreamer702 

Thank you icon_smile.gif I am going to use fresh strawberries, so I am assuming to get the right consistency to pass them through the strainer, I should first boil them to make them really really soft, then step 2 put them in my electric food chopper and then 3 mash it all through the strainer.... Then this makes the purée... And I can then add that to my cake recipe (without seeds) ...

I cook my strawberries for about 15 minutes until they are very soft and then mash them using a masher (like the ones for potatoes). Then I pass it through my strainer. Depending on the recipe, you may need to further reduce your strawberries after straining. If that's the case you would return the "juice" to the pot to continue reducing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%