How Can I Make Frosting That Isn't Too Buttery And Too Sweet?

Baking By justangelinaxo Updated 1 Apr 2013 , 8:40am by NicciZ

justangelinaxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justangelinaxo Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 4

Whenever I make frosting, somehow it just tastes way too buttery and way too sweet. And I can't substitute butter for Crisco, cornstarch, or shortening, cause I can't find it in my country! I'm now officially terrified of making frosting cause no one eats it anyway and butter is just so expensive..have any of you got a terrific, no-fail frosting recipe that is perfectly balanced in flavor? I'm in need of one cause I found an awesome vanilla cake recipe here-http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/ and I'm dying to try it out but what's cake without a little decoration? So I do need to have frosting. Also, I'm finally getting a KitchenAid stand mixer (raspberry ice) cause I've heard nothing but amazing reviews about this model and I want to get the first cake I've made using the KitchenAid perfect! (I'm sort of a novice at baking..I got addicted like a month ago and I'm restricted to baking only ONE thing a week so..yeah. I just can't wait for the next week to come!) Thanks so much guys, I seriously appreciate all your help! xo

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 4

This is my at home recipe that isn't too buttery and isn't too sweet... though if you would like it sweeter, you can add more sugar... 

12 fluid ounces of milk (you can substitute almond or soy milk here)

3 fluid ounces of heavy cream (you can also use whipping cream here)

1.5 cups dry sugar (you can use either white or packed brown - the brown adds a molasses flavor)

1/8 cup dry cornstarch

Combine all above in an saucepan and whisk well... cook until thickened... Do not allow to become a paste though...

Transfer to a stand mixer bowl and set to lowest setting with whisk attachment... Allow to cool to room temperature (or as close to it as you can stand to wait)... I usually put an ice pack around my mixer bowl to speed up the process a little...

1 1/2 cup unsalted butter (3 sticks)

Cut the butter up while it is still ice cold from the fridge... it is easier

You want for your butter to be soft, but still cool to the touch...

Once the mixture in the mixer is cooled, add a hand full of the butter pieces to it and turn the mixer up a few notches... wait a minute or two and add another hand full... wait two to five minutes and continue adding hand fulls and waiting until you are out of butter... crank the mixer up a bit and beat until it is light and fluffy...

I usually double this recipe when I make it... You can add any flavorings you would like to it... you can also add colorings if you like as well... I usually add flavoring when I add the butter and colorings last...

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:09am
post #3 of 4

AA frosting recipe used on Malaysian Chiffon cakes: Fluffy White Frosting 1 c sugar ¼ c water 1 ts light corn syrup 2 egg whites ¼ ts cream of tartar Beat egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar over simmering water at high speed 7 mins. Remove; beat to stiff peaks, 5 to 10 mins. Frost the cooled cake with the frosting.

NicciZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicciZ Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:40am
post #4 of 4

The frosting that Sweetapolita makes with the fluffy white cake is actually quite good, not buttery and not overly sweet (imho). I made it for a birthday party and served it over chocolate cupcakes to rave reviews.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%