Wasc Issues???

Decorating By Eme Updated 31 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm by Eme

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 7:15am
post #1 of 3

Anyone else having an issue with the surface texture of a WASC cake or cupcake?  I have used the same recipe for several years - the basic recipe with my own tweaks.  I have always used Pilsbury exclusively, am using the same kinds of ingredients now as I always have, mainly bake cupcakes... no issues until recently (the last 6 - 9 months).  The cupcakes come out of the oven looking awesome, domed, moist... but after cooling the top flattens out and looks very wrinkled.  It looks like there is a skin and as the cupcake cools everything shrinks leaving this wrinkled flat top.  The sides also shrink and the cupcakes look like little cylinders or cans!  The only thing that has changed is the weight of the cake mix.  It is now 15.25 oz instead of 18.25 (?) and I've already adjusted for that.  The taste doesn't seem to be affected but looks matter as much as taste! 

Anyone??

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 3

over baking?

maybe put a couple cakes in several pans and test your oven and test the baking times

also ovens can really blow it for cakes when ovens change & we don't know it

my home oven can be off by 80 degress sometimes

plus they way the oven cycles the heat off & on makes a difference

also the average oven thermometer is more lethargic and does not fluctuate as spritely as the real oven temp does so you'd want to use a better thermometer

plus use your own internal thermometer--you know what a 350 degree oven should feel like when you open the door--that kind of thing

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 3

You know, I always just assume the oven is fine... My oven at the other house was awesome, never had a problem in 5 years.  This oven, not so much.  Cycles way more than I like (didn't think of that).  Wouldn't surprise me if it is off...it would just be one more check mark against it!   Thanks K8!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%