Need A Big Help For My First Wedding Order!!please!!

Decorating By meriam Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 10:04pm by meriam

meriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriam Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 4

hello everybody!

i ve got my first wedding cake order,and it seems huge for me!! i feel so stressed that i m about to cancel it.

I ve never had any wedding cake order,only birthday cakes.

I can say i m an intermediate decorator,so i keep on practising everyday and,thanks to all of you i can say i m better each day and i really love this passion!!!

for this order,i m the only person in the area to make this kind of cake(i mean fondant tier cakes)

First,the bride told me she wanted a 2tier cake for 25people,so this was not a big deal for me,

but now she wants 2 tier cakes and a big dessert buffet with lots of treats and sweets.

i m not scared about each treat individually,but i m scared by the amount of work and the planning i would have to make.i have no idea how to plan everything!!

I would love to be able to take this challenge,because i need some confidence and this is a dream for me to make such a wonderful wedding sweet table!!

well,what i need is some advices from CC members who i m sure went through this experience and who know now how to deal with that.

i hope it makes sense,my english is not perfect,sorry!!

so,how can i plan this ? how can i share the job without giving all my recipes and my skills to someone else?

i m totally lost,so,please,give me some advices or tell me if you think i should give up.

thank you all

all the bests

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 4

No need for any stress.

Ask the bride to email you a written list of all the goods she wants.

Then YOU decide what you can make, and how much you will charge.  Take your time to get prices and preparation time.

Then give the bride a written quote.  And wait for her to get back to you...she probably will  go back to the original cake.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

And don't forget that you are the vendor and to a degree you're the one running the show.  I had a bride contact me the other day wanting to add a cake pop order to her wedding cake.  I told her I didn't do cake pops.  I could figure it out, and could probably do them well, but it's not a business or sale I'm interested in.  As a business you don't have to be all things to all people.

Good luck with your first wedding cake!  The first one is always nerve-wracking, but they get easier and easier the more you do them!

meriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriam Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 4

thank you very much BakingIrene and cupadeecakes for your help.

i agree with the fact that i can' t do all things just by myself and I have to be able to tell her what i can do and what i can 't.

I think this is an experience i have to go through and i will see how it goes;

thank you for your support,i hope one day i could help someone myself and tell her/him that it s gonna get easier with experience.

but today its my turn ,so i need to work on it.

If someone knows a site or a book or whatever,where i can read advices on planning a wedding dessert buffet,it would be kind to share.

happy caking everyone and thanks again

hi from my island

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%