Giant Cookie From Bridesmaids

Baking By messy_chef Updated 9 May 2013 , 7:06pm by Annabakescakes

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 11

One of my friends is getting married and her favorite movie is Bridesmaids.  The bride's sister thought it would be funny if we made a replica of that giant cookie from the movie.  Any ideas?  I am thinking I would have to glue smaller pieces together because that cookie was huge!

10 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 11

"Huge" cookies are usually baked on pizza pans about 14"-16" across. 

I didn't see the movie...your oven is the limiting factor.

Home oven?  You can stick 4 cookies together so if you can fit a 16" square pan then you can have a 32" cookie.  Right?

So those cookies are just regular rolled dough about 3/8" thick.  Use a masonite board underneath. Decorate with buttercream or ganache or modelling chocolate.  Lots of fun for a person who has a real good sense of humour.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

"Huge" cookies are usually baked on pizza pans about 14"-16" across. 

I didn't see the movie...your oven is the limiting factor.

Home oven?  You can stick 4 cookies together so if you can fit a 16" square pan then you can have a 32" cookie.  Right?

So those cookies are just regular rolled dough about 3/8" thick.  Use a masonite board underneath. Decorate with buttercream or ganache or modelling chocolate.  Lots of fun for a person who has a real good sense of humour.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

That is one large cookie lol icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 11

OK two sheet cake pans with half hearts.  Size still limited by your oven capacity.

Alissweettooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alissweettooth Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 5:24am
post #5 of 11

I would love to see a picture when you are done! That is so funny!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 11

i think if you did a sixteen inch square and then a sixteen inch round

cut the round in half then set the square diamond shape and place the rounds on top to form the heart shape

and had it on a very secure completely inflexible base like 1/2 inch foam core and glued it together really well--

on a stand like that--you could definitely get the idea across

a 16 will fit in most standard size home ovens

but that one does look much bigger than that

go as big as you can

maybe cut it out of newspaper to see the dimensions before you commit to it

i would guess the one in the picture is about 26-28 inches across though

you need someone with a deck oven ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 11

you could also just bake a mosaic of cookies that will fit in a regular oven to place on there like a puzzle and ice it all together

so you could still eat it

you can trim the cookies while they are still hot to fit together really well too

then mount it securely on the foamcore

maybe construct a border on the foam core so it doesn't slide ;)

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 11

AIf I was you I would make it out of gingerbread because thats the hardest cookie I know lol.. And I would put a cake board underneath it for extra stength.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 11

AI never saw the movie either, but that screen shot is one big cookie! Did they break it up and eat it? That is weird!

I think it would be the best if it was edible, and tasted good. The no fail sugar cookie recipe is a good one, and Smitten Kitchen has brownie roll out that is delicious, and can be baked a bit longer to be hardened. When making a big cookie, it should be thicker than typical cookie height, or the edges will cook much too quickly. It should be proportionate. A 2" cookie 3/8" thick, then a 16" cookie should be about an 1" thick. When I make a 12" chocolate chip cookie, I roll it about 3/4" thick, about 9" large, and it spreads the rest of the way by itself.

When they do the "record breaking" cookies, they are always 3' or more across and like 5" or 6" or more thick.

I think the 16" circle and 16" square fitted together would be the easiest, and about the biggest with the fewest amount of pieces. Stick them together with royal, and let dry several hours.

If you stick them to foam core board, you can get the trifold presentation size. They are huge! Stick it down with a few blobs if royal, it won't go anywhere!

And don't forget to take pictures!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 9 May 2013 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 11

I am so sorry- I must not have clicked the button to get notifications when people reply.  Thanks for all the ideas!  I am going to try the square and circle and piece it together out of that.  I don't think I'll make it as large as the one in the movie but big enough to be like, DANG THAT'S THE GIANT COOKIE FROM BRIDESMAIDS.

Spoiler alert- @Annabakescakes, no one gets to eat it in the movie because Kristen Wiig goes nuts and goes to town on it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 May 2013 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef 

I am so sorry- I must not have clicked the button to get notifications when people reply.  Thanks for all the ideas!  I am going to try the square and circle and piece it together out of that.  I don't think I'll make it as large as the one in the movie but big enough to be like, DANG THAT'S THE GIANT COOKIE FROM BRIDESMAIDS.

Spoiler alert- @Annabakescakes, no one gets to eat it in the movie because Kristen Wiig goes nuts and goes to town on it.

I did save it in my Netflix, after reading this thread, but haven't watched it yet. And no worries about spoilers with me, I knew the secret in The "I see dead people" movie, and still enjoyed the heck out of it, lol. I can watch a movie 100 times and still cry, lol. I am trying to find someone to watch The Princess Bride with me, for the 200th time!! I love that movie, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I SEE IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%