Please! I Need Some Suggestions On Techniques And Price

Decorating By maddy1977 Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 9:27pm by maddy1977

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make my first Cheetah all fondant cake. It's for a 14 year old girl and she loves Cheetah.

The cake flavor will be amaretto with the amaretto sirop soak. She wants vanilla buttercream under

her fondant as well. I quoted her $40 for an 8" Fondant. This is what I normally charge for that size fondant cake. This will be my first Cheetah cake, can anyone give me some suggestions on the best technique to use. I'm debating if I should do all fondant prints, buttercream prints on top of the cover fondant cake or free hand painting? Also do you all think this is a fair price?

Your opinions will be really appreciated! Thank you all in advanced! :)

7 replies
hobbyhoarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbyhoarder Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 8

I found a couple of great hand painting videos on YouTube. Just search for leopard or cheetah cake painting. I'd post a link but I'm on my iPhone at the moment. I think you could just use gel food color or food color mixed with piping gel, but I'm a newbie so use your own judgement. My daughter wants this for her birthday next week as well and I was going to paint them on. The best tutorial I found said to start with the inner color first, painting irregular circles. Then in dark or black do the outside color with half circles, parentheses, and smile faces. 

I can't comment on pricing from experience, but I think that sounds reasonable.

Renee

Hobbyhoarder

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 8

Am.youtube.com/#/watch?v=E9LrRcufYQs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DE9LrRcufYQs I didn't watch this video but it has a way to paint the print you are looking for

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

AHow much are you spending on ingredients for the cake, and how many hours do you think it will take you?

eatmycakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmycakebaby Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 8

I have done serveral leopard print cakes.  1st I cover the cake a day in advance with the fondant.  2nd I use gold dust and black and I just make adnormal spots all over the cake with the gold than come back in with the black.  it takes a lot of time and I always charge an extra $10 depending on the size of the cake. So if your cake is $40 I would have charged her $50. Also you are going to use a lot of BLACK, GOLD DUST, AND you have to mix it with some VODKA. 

so 6, 8 is extra $10

10,12,14, and so on is an extra $15

maddy1977 Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much Renee & Kazita! I will be watching those videos tonight.

Jason this will be my first time doing a Cheetah print cake so I don't know how long it will take me but

I do know I have to bake in advanced, let the cake cool before I can add the sirop then I have to put on freezer

before I can crumb coat because it is a very moist cake. I have a base price for buttercream and fondant base on size. I then add any extra decorations but since this is my first time making this kind of print I quoted the price using my base price with no extras :/...I don't want to give her a different price now. I will be revising my pricing because I do feel like I undercharge at times.

Thank you "eatmycakebaby" for all the info, I will be getting the gold dusk because I was only planning on using the brown and black color gels only.

Have anyone tried doing the cheetah prints using buttercream?

Thank you all again for your responses! :)

maddy1977 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 8

Here's the cake! Let me know what you think? The price was $40 which I think was low giving the time I spend on it  but it was the price I gave my client and I wouldn't go back to change it.

Also, I had trouble with the fondant and had some bulges that I had to cover with the bow. I also had to use white chocolate melts to glue the bow that keep

almost falling with just toothpicks for support.

maddy1977 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 8

sorry forgot to download the pic lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%