Decorating On Display Boards

Decorating By MissLaurenK Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 3:21pm by -K8memphis

MissLaurenK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLaurenK Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 4

This is the first time I've decorated a cake and I couldn't get a display board the right size, so it's a little bigger. I am decorating my cake on the display board, and the board itself is currently covered in ganache that dripped off my cake (had a small disaster for a while). Do you decorate on a board? Would you suggest trying to move the cake after the fondant has set, or clean it up as best as possible and leave it where it is?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 4

hmm, hard to say

my only thought for you is if you let the ganache set up it will be easier to remove

but either way if you use a spatula to remove it or a dough cutter/scraper you can make an easy job of it

so is the fondant going on the board?

what do you mean by decorate the board--yes you can decorate the board

move the cake? off the board or for delivery?

;)

MissLaurenK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLaurenK Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah... I left the ganache overnight to harden, but it was still runny today and so I ended up adding more chocolate and letting it sit for as long as I could afford (The cake is for tomorrow and I'll be out all day).

I'm guessing I'll just have to wait for the ganache on the board to harden overnight and then scrape it off and clean the board up.

I'm not putting fondant on the board.. but I meant moving the cake from one display board to another.

I think it's alright now... I have, in the last hour or so, had some amazing luck with my new found fondant skills and it's working well and looking alright.

One question though - Should I leave the fondant out overnight to harden, or would it be better if I put it in the fridge?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 4

it's an individual decision--i chill all my cakes that i sell

some peeps never fridge their cakes

your local climate and the particular fridge are items to consider in making the decision

maybe you could do some testing--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%