Should I Be Annoyed With This?

Decorating By CakesbyMichele Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 6:50pm by CakesbyMichele

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 7

I had a woman email me several times in regard to her future DIL wedding cake.  I have another cake booked that day and had told her that if I did the cake I would have to deliver at "x" time due to another delivery.  This woman was okay with this.  This cake would be 2 hours away one way for me which is longer than I like to take a cake, but was open to doing it.  Email went back and forth a few times over the course of a couple weeks. In the meantime, I had another consult set up for that date, went to the consult and got a check to hold the date.  The day after this consult, this woman emails to ask to set up a consult.  I told her I had another booking come in and wouldn't be available.  She stated she was extremely disappointed and I was at the top of her list.  If she had known that she wasn't guaranteed the date without a contract, she would have done so.  I just figured people knew that they weren't guaranteed the day without a deposit/contract.  Was I wrong to assume that?  I will mention it during the consult but we hadn't reached that point.  I do feel bad and will apologize again to her but not sure if I did anything wrong or not.  Opinions?  Anyone have a similar situation?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

oh no you're cool--

so then would the reverse be true--you should have given up the sure thing and insisted on a check from her just because you talked about it--

ugh uh

you did fine and she knows it

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

yes be annoyed

that's dweeby of her

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7

When people call about wedding cakes you should always mention that a signed contract and deposit are required to guarantee the date.  You should also have that info available on your website/facebook.  It is an important detail to get out up front.   At this point just apologize and send them on their way.  Wish them all the best with their special occasion.  

Think of it as a lesson learned.  Always mention the contract and deposit on the first conversation.  People don't always realize this is required.  It is one of the first things I mention when someone calls about wedding and large cake orders.

Don't sweat it. 

CakesbyMichele Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone.  I just hate to piss people off.  She also asked me for a recommendation as to where to go for a cake!  Yikes.  I think she's mad also because the wedding venue is at a winery in the middle of nowhere.  The closest city that would make cakes is an hour away.  I am 2 hours.  So I think I was probably the only stupid one to agree to go that far so I think they are going to have trouble finding someone to deliver that far.  I will apologize again and refer her to look in the closer city to the venue. 

I will mention the money down earlier in the process next time.  Thanks again! 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyMichele 

I just hate to piss people off.

try to learn to enjoy it a little when it's not a serious issue and clearly not intentional  ;)

be a little wicked--life will balance out the rest

icon_lol.gif

CakesbyMichele Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks K8Memphis!!  Hey, I hate to turn down orders.  I love making cakes but there is only so much I can do in one day, especially when delivery is involved.  I just emailed her back some recommendations and hopefully, that is the end of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%