Getting Licensed: What Is Needed?

Business By MichaelaRod Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 6:06pm by Paperfishies

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone I have found a kitchen space that is willing to rent unlimited hours per month to me. Now, what do I need to do to become licensed? The kitchen owner has a food truck company and said he will not require me to have my own permit on the space but does that mean that I can not be licensed w out it? What do I need to apply for next or who do I call and get a to do list from? I have registered my fictitious name and have a Fed Tax ID #

Someone please give me some direction! I am in St. Louis county MO Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 4

you need to contact your local health department and business licensing place and advise them of your plans


the permit thing--that's probably from the health department and maybe the fire department


see in my county if i used someone's kitchen it would have to be up to march 26, 2013 standards-- a lot of things are grandfathered in for existing businesses that they would have to bring up to code in order to rent like that to a new business


so if he is letting you use his permit you are under his umbrella which is either good or bad depending--it's a risk both ways


if he gets a tax lein on his place, doesn't pay the rent --all your stuff gets padlocked too


if he's not up to current code you get to work under a less costly overhead under his permit


so ask him who you should speak to if you want to go that way


jason will advise you too i'm sure

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 4

AUnless you are an employee of the kitchen owner you will generally need to get your own permit and pass a separate inspection, contact your county health dept for the details.

You'll also need to contact your city for a business license and get business liability insurance if you don't already have it.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 4

Totally depends on your state...Some states are more lax but states like mine (Kentucky) are crazy strict, making you jump through more hoops than a circus animal and treat you as if you're trying to make and distribute meth. 


Your county health department can tell you exactly what you will need to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%