How Do I Get Accurate And Perfectly Written Couture / Designer Names To Decorate Gumpaste Shoes And Handbag Cakes ?

Decorating By pastrymaniac Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 2:55pm by -K8memphis

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:28am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, 

I have made some gumpaste shoes and also some handbag cakes but I have seen some great logos/names written mostly on gumpaste shoes, for instance Prada, Chanel, Louboutin, Gianni Versace, all written perfectly and in the same font used by the designer. How is that made, anyone can help me ?

It does not seam to me as letters piped wit royal icing, the effect is too neat. Is it a transfer made with parchment paper over the real letters / logo ? Is it  made with a brush or an edible marker ? How do I get the correct thickness on all the letters? I have seen some really perfect Chanel and Prada names...

Thanks 

:)

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 13

free handing it or cutting a stencil and the ways you stated--edible ink markers, painting plus by using a real small tip or a parchment bag with a very small opening cut out

you can print off the logo and by using pins you can pinprick the outline onto the surface through the logo and pipe, paint or use marker over that

by practicing basically

one baker had a rubber stamp made which was ingenious--maybe costly but she got it exact

pastrymaniac Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much K8memphis for your detailed reply.

So there is not a magic way (unless you get a rubber stamp), the only way is practicing :)

Will definitely practice, thanks.

Love your quotes at the bottom of your post by the way :)

Bye

Sara 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 13

and i should have said that peeps use a tiny parchment bag with a tiny hole--the tiny bag gives better control

it really does get easier when you start breaking it down and looking at it

and thank you!!

pastrymaniac Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks so much K8memphis, I have a few of those tiny bags, will try them.

For instance those colourful Louis Vuitton details / logos, are these hand painted with the same method (printing the logo and pinpricking)? Did you use a paint brush or a marker for those?

Thanks so much, kind regards

Sara 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 13

marker--so easy!

it's a 'v' of course then the top part of the 'l' follows the same angle of the 'v' then there's a straight line across for the bottom leg of the 'l' then a little decorative dooey--absolutely straight forward when you break it down

then two easy geometric shapes

then the clover shape? was hard for me to get perfect so i used a tiny dogwood cutter and just cut out and pasted on--easier than embossing and painting

the two 'c' in coco --perfectly straightforward -- i just rolled fondant snakes and placed them under the fondant--smoothed over them and put the stitching

the 'coach' i piped--i piped it over and over and over till i liked it

i have some pink coach purses but i can't find them--those started with a 'c' stencil that i outlined onto the surface then evolved into just pressing partially with a round (or oval?) cookie cutter to get them all consistent size wise then finishing the details by hand--painting i think--big 'c's all over

seems daunting but it's doable

it's the teeny tiny long winded print i avoid like the plague ;)

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 13

Some web site sells the impression mats with all the designers logos on them. I knew I should have book marked it because my failing mind can't find them now! I have spent the last hour looking. Sorry! They were awesome. They had Coach, Gucci, Vitton, and Yves St. Laurent. 

pastrymaniac Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 13

Hi  K8memphis,

thanks a million for all your detailed explanation and fantastic tips, really nice of you to share your experience. I also share mine whenever I can be of help to someone :)

Do you mean a dogwood rose cutter? Thanks again.

Thanks to you too JanDunlevy, it´s the thought that counts lol... Should you find the website could you please let me know, thanks.

Bye

Sara

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 13

Hi All, Those cakes all look fabulous!  Especially the LV one, the detail is so realistic.  I would like to add a comment here though, not about technique or anything but I believe that you have to be somewhat careful duplicating the design - and in particular logo - for these companies they are protected by copyright.  I have been trying to find out about this over the past few months as I did a couple of character cakes and handbag cakes for friends years ago which I wanted to publicise and the concensus has been that without permission, technically you can't do it.  I emailed Radley a few months back (a popular handbag company in the UK) to seek their permission to use a design and I got a very nice email saying thank you, but they would not permit it.  I was very annoyed but, hey, have to live with it and will try again next year!  I know a lot of people do (and I suspect that most have no idea that they shouldn't) but it may be worth considering getting a licence use the logo, just to be on the safe side.

I started a thread about something like this a while back which you can still access although I'm not sure how to put a link in here...the title was "Licences for characters in the UK".  My understanding is (although I am certainly no lawyer) that you can create cakes using copyrighted images etc for personal use (making a cake for family) but not for business purposes (market that cake for profit)...even if all the evidence is eaten!! :-)

pastrymaniac Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 13

Hi Snowflakebunny23,

thanks for the advice, I will check and take that into account.

Bye

Sara

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 

Hi All, Those cakes all look fabulous!  Especially the LV one, the detail is so realistic.  I would like to add a comment here though, not about technique or anything but I believe that you have to be somewhat careful duplicating the design - and in particular logo - for these companies they are protected by copyright.  I have been trying to find out about this over the past few months as I did a couple of character cakes and handbag cakes for friends years ago which I wanted to publicise and the concensus has been that without permission, technically you can't do it.  I emailed Radley a few months back (a popular handbag company in the UK) to seek their permission to use a design and I got a very nice email saying thank you, but they would not permit it.  I was very annoyed but, hey, have to live with it and will try again next year!  I know a lot of people do (and I suspect that most have no idea that they shouldn't) but it may be worth considering getting a licence use the logo, just to be on the safe side.

I started a thread about something like this a while back which you can still access although I'm not sure how to put a link in here...the title was "Licences for characters in the UK".  My understanding is (although I am certainly no lawyer) that you can create cakes using copyrighted images etc for personal use (making a cake for family) but not for business purposes (market that cake for profit)...even if all the evidence is eaten!! :-)

yes of course--one was a family cake--one was for a friend--and i am not in business

you are exactly correct though

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 13

K8memphis,

I love the purses!! I was thinking about doing an LV purse myself my I think I talked myseld out of it..

DeeDee

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 13

thank you very much!!! --oh go for it--maybe make a mini to start

i loved all of them with one teensy regret on the coach bag i was too tuckered out to do the strap right--shoulda been thicker

but it was so much fun

the coach & coco was for my (lcsw) daughter's birthday--there was a coco necklace inside the coco wallet ;)

sweet memories

and the messenger bag is her favorite coach purse--

so i can make one to eat but she'll have to buy the one to carry around!!!  icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%