Black Gucci Purse Cake -- Need Help/advice/suggestions

Decorating By algal100 Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 6:48pm by algal100

algal100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
algal100 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 3

My plan is to make Michelle Foster's chocolate fondant and add black gel color to it.  Then I'm going to cover each side of the cake with a panel of fondant and hide the seams with fondant rolled to look like the piping.  I've decorated with fondant before but this is my first attempt at a cake covered in fondant so any help/tips/advice would be great!!

Questions:

1) Does this sound like a good plan?

2) Any reason to use chocolate MMF vs. Foster's fondant?

3) Any suggestions on how to make the fondant to look like textured leather?

4) Should I be worried about condensation on the fondant if it goes in the fridge?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 12:08am
post #2 of 3

i would put a fondant liner underneath first

carve your cake then put a piece of fondant over the cake as wide as those seams on either side--if you make it smaller it will show in the finished product--but not covering the side pieces just the front and over the top and down the back

i'd do this for two reasons

• so you can attach the "gg" logo to it in front so you can easily outline it in the final coat--i would dry the logo out a bit so it stays nicely formed

• so you have a real good surface to apply the final layer of fondant to--it needs to stand up straight on top so this will make that easier--a nice secure surface to attach to

after the underlayer and the logo then i think i would make the outside in four pieces--the sides first

then lay the front & back panels on and trim the edges--

i fridge my fondant cakes--

a texture mat of some kind? or look around at the fabric store for a faux leather--

i just use satin ice usually-- i wasn't that crazy about mmf ;)

post a picture when you're finished if you want --i'd love to see it!

algal100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
algal100 Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you!!  I'm going to take your advice about the liner - maybe just the top but we'll see.  I will def take a pic when I'm done.  I appreciate your comments!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%