Feathers?

Decorating By TamB Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 10:52pm by shanter

TamB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamB Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 3

First, ignore my avatar...I just threw that up (literally).  I did that cake in less than a day in an impromptu request.  NOW, I have quite a project to tackle..and I could REALLY use some help.  I have been asked to make a "CHER" themed cake.  And they want her in the Half-Breed costume! I have the concept... Cher popping out of the top tier (from the waist up) with her headdress cascading down the two tiers.  If anyone has seen this costume...it's FEATHER MANIA! Suggestions on how to make a plethora of feathers on this thing and how do I get the "furry" appearance from the hat band portion of the head dress?  I will take ANY suggestions.  I am making Cher out of modeling chocolate.  I am to create this cake for April 6th. I have to start things in motion now.  Thanks to anyone who can make suggestions.

2 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 3

For a furry texture, I tend to use a really small bottle brush and just sort of rough the fondant up with it.

I'm terrible at explaining, lol, but I will press it in, roll it around, just sort of play with it til I get the desired texture.

http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/Bottle-Brush-Tiny

I use one very similar to that.

If you go to pinterest and type in 'fondant feather', or 'gumpaste feather', a number of different tutorials show up.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%