Cricket Or Crimper??

Decorating By soldiernurse Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 1:19pm by punkin90

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 3:16am
post #1 of 4

AWhat do you think of the Cricket craft cutter and plastic versus metal crimping tools?? Do you use any of them? Why or why not? What is your opinion about the Wilton rolling caddy also?

3 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:39am
post #2 of 4

I have a Cricut cake machine and really like it.  I do not use it all the time, however, as there are so many different techniques to try.  I am a hobby baker with no intentions of ever going into business and if I had to justify the price I couldn't.  Fortunately I don't have to and I am gadget mad so I bought one.  I did have a lot of cartidges from paper crafting and these are interchangable between the different Cricut machines so I did not have to purchase any more of these.  They have come down a lot in price in the last couple of years.  If you are short on money I think it could be spent more wisely on other cake decorating tools but if you can afford one they can be fun.  Whilst cricut designs can be used to complete an entire cake I do think they look better incorporated with other techniques.

Sorry but I cannot help with the other part of your question.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 4

..thanks cazza1..just bought the rolling caddy for 90 bucks and so far, I love it..most of my cake stuff fits and I can see my table again! .thinking about ordering the crimpers from ebay but they come in plastic and metal..just wondered about the Cricut an exactly what you can do with it..is it like a punch tool or Sugar Sheets! I'm confused as to what it actually does.icon_eek.gif

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

I  bought the Cricut cake on clearance at Hobby Lobby about 18 months ago. I a disappointed with it. I have a problem getting it to cut right no matter how thin my fondant/gumpaste is. I called the company and talked with someone at Cricut and was told to freeze my fondant for 45 minutes before cutting with the machine. I was also told that it would not cut images well that are smaller than 3"? That's kind of big for a cake. I also bought the Wilton rolling caddy. LOVE IT! I can get a lot of my tools in it. Pull it out of my closet and take to my kitchen when I need it. The only thing I don't like is I don't have enough room for all my tips and colors. There are extra bins I can put them in though. It could be a little bigger in my opinion but I still like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%