Tacky Cake

Decorating By Sassyzan Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 5:11pm by BeesKnees578

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 12

AWhat do you do if someone asks for a cake design that you think is really tacky? Do you do it anyway? Try to un-tack-ify it a bit?

11 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 12

I would do the cake, but might not add it to my portfolio.  Everyone has different tastes.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 12

It would depend what was tacky about it.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 12

AI do my behest to guide them in a slightly different direction. "Ahh let's tailor this design just for you ...what if we change this or do this ..."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I would do the cake, but might not add it to my portfolio.  Everyone has different tastes.

i was shocked to learn that peeps expect to see thier cakes on your website after you make them

omg! deliver me!

icon_biggrin.gif

no where to run to no where to hide

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:04am
post #6 of 12

I agree, I won't put a cake I don't like on my web site.  Tacky covers a lot of area.  Color, subject, over the top design?  One thing you'll learn is that "not everyone is YOUR customer".  Feel free to tell them you don't feel comfortable doing that particular design............it just isn't ...you.  Then refer them to another decorator in her area.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:16am
post #7 of 12

A^. Seriously! I haven't yet had a client I couldn't direct. I take that back! Someone recently wanted the stairs & bridesmaids & fountain. I directed her to another artist in the area.

K8 is right. Clients expect to make the website or at least FB. They will post photos & tag me or Delicious Desserts. Good reason to never put out something if which I am ashamed.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

You could always post it with a little  blurb that says "This cake was a little out of my creative box and I wasn't sure if I could pull off this unique design as requested by the customer, but it turned out exactly as she wanted it."

That way people know it wasn't you who designed the cake.  If you give her something in your style she might not appreciate it...

Just a thought.

But first I would do the same as the others have said and try to guide them into a design that was more inline with my personal tastes.  When I meet with a bride and they suggest something that will probably look bad, I just start chewing on the inside of my cheek and squint my eyes a little.  Do this for a few secs and then say "I'm having an issue with x and x....I'm not sure that it would look right aesthetically...maybe this here and that there?"  Usually people will trust your artistic eye.

BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:58am
post #9 of 12

I try to act all artsy-fartsy...they seem to fall for it...lol!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:16am
post #10 of 12

AGreat feedback! Thanks!!. It's for family, so I won't be passing it up, but I am trying to gently nudge...

It's true not everyone has the same tastes. I should try to reserve judgement.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:23am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

You could always post it with a little  blurb that says "This cake was a little out of my creative box and I wasn't sure if I could pull off this unique design as requested by the customer, but it turned out exactly as she wanted it."

As a client, I would be really upset if I saw my decorator post that by my cake's photo, lol, imo it's better off just not to include it.

A portfolio is simply something that shows off your skill and creativity, no where is it written that everything has to be included.

I've done a couple cake I considered to be on the tacky side, but I know there is someone out there who thinks my favourite cake is probably ugly as sin. If I have a bride who has an exact detailed idea of what she wants, I never try to change it. If she seems that she is looking for guidance, I am more than happy to steer her away from fountains and pillars! lol

However, I would never want to make a bride feel like her dream cake was anything less than breath taking!

BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

As a client, I would be really upset if I saw my decorator post that by my cake's photo, lol, imo it's better off just not to include it.

A portfolio is simply something that shows off your skill and creativity, no where is it written that everything has to be included.

I've done a couple cake I considered to be on the tacky side, but I know there is someone out there who thinks my favourite cake is probably ugly as sin. If I have a bride who has an exact detailed idea of what she wants, I never try to change it. If she seems that she is looking for guidance, I am more than happy to steer her away from fountains and pillars! lol

However, I would never want to make a bride feel like her dream cake was anything less than breath taking!

I didn't think of is at insulting, just saying that it was a creative challenge sounds like you can handle unique opportunities well.  If it sounded sarcastic, I didn't mean it that way.  Maybe different wording?  Or add, "I thought it turned out perfectly."  Just a thought, anyway...icon_biggrin.gif 

Plus people will hopefully see the difference from that particular cake and your typically styled cake and know it was out of your normal way of creative thinking.  AND IF IT TURNS OUT PERFECTLY LOVELY (clean, straight, neat, etc), there's probably no need to say a word.  Which I'm sure it will.

Regardless, good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%