Gold Fondant? Help!!

Decorating By Pheoner Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 1:59am by Pheoner

Pheoner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pheoner Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 10:04am
post #1 of 10

Hi Guys

Ive been asked to quote for this cake but ive never used gold before. How would i achieve this look? And for the zebra print is it just a matter of cutting black strips then rolling onto the gold?

Any help would be awesome!!

9 replies
ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:57am
post #2 of 10

AYep, just cut them out and stick them on. however i find the diamonds are a lot harder than they look. I would be interested to see if anyone has any good tips for doing them. and as for the gold I would probably just airbrush it with Americolour gold mist.

kristinhintz88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristinhintz88 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 10

Hello!  I've found the best way to achieve this gold look is to color your base fondant a pale yellow color or close to a "Winnie the Pooh" color; don't get it too "electric yellow" though.  After you get the cake covered, I'd airbrush it to get an even look.  Americolor has a "Gold Sheen" airbrush color that works nicely.  http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/food-items/gold-sheen-amerimist-air-brush-color/46/535/1860/640801/

If you don't have an airbrush and want to paint it, here's what I'd use:  https://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/GEG2020

As for the zebra stripes- you've got it!  Just roll gumpaste or fondant and randomly cut stripes and attach to the cake. 

I agree with ashleabrowncake: The diamonds can be tricky to get them to line up right; I would suggest getting this nice pack of graduated diamond cutters made by Ateco.  I like these because you can adjust the size of the diamond based on the diameter of your cake.  Here's the website!  http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/8-pcdiamondcutterset.aspx

GOOD LUCK!  icon_biggrin.gif

-Kristin

Pheoner Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 10

Yea i dont have a airbrush - thats my next major purchase haha. I have done a cake with diamonds before and i hand cut them out and yes it was extremely painful!! So yes investing in a diamond cutter will be a must!

Thanks for your help! Now to price the thing :/

Pheoner Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:08am
post #5 of 10

oh if i went colour mist way (i'm in australia) is americolour better than wilton or vice versa?

MARILYN CHILTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARILYN CHILTON Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:17am
post #6 of 10

You can use powdered gold! or gold leaf. It's not nutritious, but it is gorgeous and completely safe to ingest. What's your customer willing to pay?

www.marilynchilton.com

MARILYN CHILTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARILYN CHILTON Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:19am
post #7 of 10

Of course you can use gold powder or gold leaf.  It's food safe.

Marilyn Chilton

http://www.marilynchilton.com

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:35am
post #8 of 10

AAmericolor! Definitely Americolor! Wilton=crap

...Wilton will get the job done in a pinch though.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:36am
post #9 of 10

Colour mist is a touch more yellowy than the americolour, but very close to the colour in the picture you posted, and I find it needs 1 or 2 more coats as well.

I use to use both before I got an airbrusher.

Pheoner Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:59am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all your help guys! I gave the woman a quote ($450) but apparently she has another one for nearly half my price ($250). I was going to have to reinforce extremely well as she wanted to transport via car to a venue 7 hours away! So good luck to the woman working for nothing haha. Maybe i was too high? oh well. Good information to keep for next time :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%