How Do I Keep My Fondant Soft On A Cake?

Decorating By imadreamer702 Updated 17 Mar 2014 , 11:55pm by Angel62

imadreamer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:47am
post #1 of 20

AI make MMF That is Very simple from MM's, couple TBS water, and powder sugar. I have to use quite a bit of shortening to keep it from being too sticky, or too dry while I am kneading it. I am having a problem keeping it soft. After it hits the air for a few 10-15 minutes or so, it begins to get hard! I have ate fondant covered cakes that the fondant was nice and soft. I'm wondering how to do this? Mine always gets really hard. I bought some glucose, tylose, glycerine, and a small bag of gum paste but that's all just sitting in my kitchen until I can find the recipe, or find the answer to my question. Hopefully someone can help me. I also have some fondant figurines I would like to make in advance. All the figurines I have made I preferred them to be hard because that way, they would hold together well. I don't know if figurines would hold their shape if they are soft? Are they suppose to be soft, or hard? Thank you all so much for taking time to read all this, and help me with it!

19 replies
biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:54am
post #2 of 20

We use the same recipe for our MM fondant that u are using, but ours does not get hard?? What ratio of powdered sugar to marshmallows are you using.  We never use over 50:50 MM to powdered sugar.  To make our figures harder so they will keep shape, we add some gum paste to the prepared fondant.

biscuiteater Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:55am
post #3 of 20

Oops....forgot to say we don't like our figures to be "hard" because they crack....just sturdy....if that makes sense.

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 20

AI just use a 10 oz bag of jet puffed mini mm's and almost a whole 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar.

Xiony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xiony Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 20

Too much powdered sugar and not enough MM and water. .All the recipes I've seen including one I use call for 15 ounces MM, 2tbsp water and up to the 32 ounces of sugar (depending on the weather or temp in your kitchen).The MMF stays soft when used for covering cakes. If I want to use for decorations I add tylose. Hope this helps.. 

also are you adding corn syrup for pliability etc???

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 20

AXiong: First of all, Thank You! And to answer your question- No. All I use are the ingredients I listed. MM's, powdered sugar, a couple tbs of water, and some shortening. However, I DID go out yesterday and buy corn syrup, glucose, glycerin, and tylose. Although, I don't really know how to use ANY of those ingredients, LOL. While doing some research (there are so many different recipes out there) , it seems like those ingredients have come up a lot. So, I just bought all of the ones that I remembered seeing, and now I have to do some more research I guess, and figure out which recipe to use, and what is the trick of making some good MM fondant that will not get so hard! :( Any help with this would be wonderful! Thank you again!

biscuiteater Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 20

We agree with Xiony...too much powdered sugar.  We measure the ingredients with cups...4 cups marshmallows 4 cups powdered sugar....

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 20

A

Original message sent by biscuiteater

We agree with Xiony...too much powdered sugar.  We measure the ingredients with cups...4 cups marshmallows 4 cups powdered sugar....

I will try that! Do you also use any tylose or corn syrup or anything extra besides the MM's and powdered sugar? Thank you very much!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 20

ATylose(turns fondant into something like gumpaste) will make it really hard Corn syrup and glucose will make it softer and more pliable

biscuiteater Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 20

We just knead some gum paste into the prepared fondant.   The ratio would be 3/4 fondant 1/4 gum paste....if you make these ahead of time they harden up nicely for us...

biscuiteater Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 20

Well....oops again!  We do this only for figures (add gum paste).  For covering cakes we just use the MM, powdered sugar, water recipe?..

Xiony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xiony Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 20

Glad I can help! I am not a pro but have been using MMF and no other fondant since last Summer,hence, I've learned a few things along the way. Anyhow, search Rhonda's MMF recipe here or better yet on Youtube search for Edna De La Cruz's MMF recipe. It is pretty much the same recipe except you get to watch Edna make it. She's great!

imadreamer702 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:31am
post #13 of 20

AThanks mandi & biscuit eater!! I think my fondant was the consistency of gum paste. LoL. I am curious and excited to try your suggestions, and see how fondant is really meant to be. :) mine tasted good, but it just got really hard and cracked a lot. So, I will probably try to d this tomorrow!!

imadreamer702 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:40am
post #14 of 20

AXiony I don't know how I didn't see your response , I'm sorry! Thank you very much. I did watch her video, and I am so glad I have all of those ingredients except the lemon juice. I will run in the store after I drop my girl off at school in the morning and get that, and when I get home I am going to try it. :) thanks again!

imadreamer702 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:11am
post #15 of 20

AOk, so I used Edna De La Cruz' MMF recipe, and this time, my fondant is so much softer, and has more elasticity than what I was doing before. I am so excited to try using some of this on a Barbie cake tomorrow! I would love to post some pictures but I don't know how to do that either :( lol. I don't even have a profile picture :( help with that anyone?? LoL! Thanks!!

imadreamer702 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:13am
post #16 of 20

AOoooh , and it tastes very good too! Awesome!

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:54pm
post #17 of 20

I am so glad I found this post! I am VERY new at this cake decorating stuff! Yesterday was my first time making a BC frosted cake with MMF accent pieces. My MMF was drying out as fast as I could work with it and even though I wrapped it in saran wrap it still got hard. Luckily it worked putting it on the cake (with BC as a glue on the back of each piece--which as a side question wondering if that's right) but all I can think about is how horrible that is going to be to eat and/or have to pick off! I made the MMF with mm, water, almond extract, and powdered sugar. After reading this, I am going to try a new recipe like you!

imadreamer702 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:48am
post #18 of 20

AMommy b

Original message sent by mommyb

I am so glad I found this post! I am VERY new at this cake decorating stuff! Yesterday was my first time making a BC frosted cake with MMF accent pieces. My MMF was drying out as fast as I could work with it and even though I wrapped it in saran wrap it still got hard. Luckily it worked putting it on the cake (with BC as a glue on the back of each piece--which as a side question wondering if that's right) but all I can think about is how horrible that is going to be to eat and/or have to pick off! I made the MMF with mm, water, almond extract, and powdered sugar. After reading this, I am going to try a new recipe like you!

I initially had went on YouTube and watched a tutorial of a girl making MMF. The recipe was just like yours, and yes, it dries very quickly, and then, after a few hours it gets hard!! My daughter ate a piece of cake which had the MMF accent pieces on it, and almost choked because the MMF was so hard... ! SO, I went to www.designmeacake.com, and watched a tutorial by Edna De La Cruz, and I now make my fondant exactly the way she does. It is very good, and pliable. Sooooo much better than the other recipe. You will need a few ingredients that usually are not found at your regular grocery store. Such as the glycerine)) .. I get my glycerine at my local craft store. You can also get it at hobby lobby..... Good luck! :)

imadreamer702 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:50am
post #19 of 20

AAlso, yes, use just a small amount of frosting to stick MMF on a buttercream cake. That's what I do! :)

Angel62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel62 Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 20

HELLOW LADIES !Yes that is my same question I want my fondant to stay soft to eat on my cookies but at the same time pliable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%