Paint My Fondant/gumpaste Roses?

Decorating By Meech46 Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 12:59am by HamSquad

Meech46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meech46 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 8

What is the right 'dust' to use?  Do I use water, vodka or extract?  It's so streaky and looks terrible!

HELP!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

you could use luster or petal dust

the first has a shine to it and the other is more flat

you can brush it on as is--then steam it for 2-3 seconds to set it

or make a paint with a spirit + the dust (either one) and paint it on

if the paint is too thin wait a few the alcohol will evaporate some and it will thicken up

if it evaporates all the way --re-use it by adding more alcohol--you can store any leftover too

or put two coats

just play with some scraps first to get the hang of it

and the resaon you use vodka or lemon extract--something that has a high alcohol content is so that the liquid does evaporate away and the item dries nicely

;) you can do it!!!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 8

Am.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=7CFI3Sz1s-c

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:23am
post #4 of 8

A[IMG ALT="row-1,2 white fondant roses, r-3 pink petal dust edges, r-4,5 furled edge rose, r-6 Wilton sprayed, r-7 ,8 hand painted-lemon extract with petal dust. Which technique do you like? All held up well, no problems with wetness! LOL"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/1342540/width/350/height/700[/IMG] I dug this out of the archives (LOL)! I hope this helps! Just use petal dust or luster dust, even finely grated non-toxic soft pastel chalk works wonderfully on gumpaste/fondant flowers. I usually use lemon extract to paint with. I have used Wilton fondant mixed with read-to-use gumpaste with Wilton Gumtex. Now I make gumpaste from royal icing mixed with tylose.

imadreamer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:26am
post #5 of 8

A

Original message sent by HamSquad

[IMG ALT="row-1,2 white fondant roses, r-3 pink petal dust edges, r-4,5 furled edge rose, r-6 Wilton sprayed, r-7 ,8 hand painted-lemon extract with petal dust. Which technique do you like? All held up well, no problems with wetness! LOL"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/1342540/width/350/height/700[/IMG] I dug this out of the archives (LOL)! I hope this helps! Just use petal dust or luster dust, even finely grated non-toxic soft pastel chalk works wonderfully on gumpaste/fondant flowers. I usually use lemon extract to paint with. I have used Wilton fondant mixed with read-to-use gumpaste with Wilton Gumtex. Now I make gumpaste from royal icing mixed with tylose.

Was just looking through the forum and saw this post. Your flowers are beautiful! I tried making a rosé from fondant last night, well, just the petals, and they ended up drying really hard on the spoon and cracking into pieces. LoL. I would love to eventually be able to do flowers like yours! Great job! :)

HamSquad Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

Aimadreamer702 Thank you so much! What did you add to the fondant last night when drying in the spoon? Was it tylose or gumtex? When drying in a spoon, don't let them sit over night, just let them sit out un-covered while you are adding a layers of petals on the rose bud. This might be why they were so fragile. I learn how to make roses from Edna De La Cruz from "Design Me A Cake"(http://www.designmeacake.com/ ), she is really an awesome cake decorator and a wonderful instructor. Check her video out on "Youtube", it is free to watch over and over again. I hope this helps. I'm still learning, so that means Practice, Practice and Practice with Patience! Best Wishes! Hamsquad

imadreamer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 8

AI just use MM fondant. It is only made with the MM's, a couple Tbs of water, and the powdered sugar. Also, I add a little shortening too when I knead it if it is sticky or if it gets to dry. And my fondant always dries hard like that, maybe because l need to add something else to it? I don't really know. I am still trying to figure all of this out... LoL . I learned how to stack a cake by watching Edna Delacruz , and I really like her. She makes beautiful cakes, and she is beautiful too! I guess i need to figure out how to make the right kind of fondant, or gum paste, or 50/50 to do these flowers. Not real sure. But I am going to keep working on it though! Thank you for the tips!!

HamSquad Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

AWhen I first started making roses, I made them out of MMF like you, they really taste good. Then I started making them from Wilton's recipe for gumpaste, it is pretty simple and I used lemon juice, I was still looking for the taste factor. Later, on I started using Wilton premade fondant mixed with the premade gumpaste, less stress, good texture to work with, but it was costly. I used Joann, Michaels or Hobby Lobby coupons to lessen the sticker shock, here in Illinois the taxes are horrible. Lately, I have been making gumpaste from royal icing mixed with tylose from CAI. I ordered it from Sweetwise. She is another great cake decorator. Venture into one of these options, it makes making the flowers a lot easier to make and ruffle the petals. As always, Best Wishes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%