Easy Way To Get Dowel Out

Decorating By punkin90 Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 11:21am by punkin90

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 7

I have a cake to deliver tomorrow. The biggest I made so I am a little nervous you could say. I put a wooden dowel rod in the center of the cake. I had to make some adjustments and take it out. I could not get it out by twisting or tugging. I finally had to pick the cake up with the dowel to get it to come out. I know this wasn't smart but couldn't figure out what else to do. I put it back in and twisted it to make sure it wasn't in too far and gave it two more taps. I am afraid I am going to have this problem when I deliver the cake. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

I don't use a center dowel at all, as long as the cakes are cold it's not really necessary. I transport three tiered cakes in one piece, and anything larger than that I stack some tiers and assemble the rest on site.

For a dowel that's really stuck in there you can take a pair of pliers, grab the top of the dowel and turn it in a circle until it loosens up, then you can usually pull it out. Just don't wiggle it side to side, turn it instead, and it will loosen up.

punkin90 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 12:17am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I have to admit that I almost dropped this cake and one of the tiers sifted maybe 1/2". I will remember not to wiggle it. I am sure I was guilty of that too icon_cry.gif. I hope to one day be confident enough to carry a cake without a dowel in the center. Practice, practice, practice!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 12:54am
post #4 of 7

I always, always use a center dowel.   False security I know....but it was how I was trained and it makes me feel good.   I only give a couple light taps and make sure I leave about 3" so I can slowly twist and pull out.  I would've freaked out if mine got stuck and had to do what you did.   Glad it worked out.  

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 9:31am
post #5 of 7

I use needle-nosed pliers to remove dowels from cakes. They work great! 

punkin90 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:49am
post #6 of 7

What a great tutorial! Thanks so much for your help! 

punkin90 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:21am
post #7 of 7

Just check out the website the tutorial is on. So much info! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%