Bbq Grill/ Sundress And Sandale Cake? Advice Needed Please

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 9:21pm by SugarExplosion

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:36am
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone!

Okay.. I have three cakes coming up and I'm at a lost because the client wants them done in butter cream. Some Fondant is OK but she prefer butter cream. The clients wants all three done a sheet cakes but gave me to be creative leeway. However, I get the impress from our conversation that she whats a craved cake for all three but I'm not sure. SO I was thinking:

1. Sundress and Sandal cake: I was thinking of carving the shapes out of the cake but I'm worried about wasting too much cake. I could just put a Fondant dress/ sandal and texture them on the the cake. OR I could stencil the image on the cake them use butter cream to decorate the image. Any suggestions. We haven't discussed price I told her I needed to price my materials.

2. BBQ GRILL Cake: I NEED HELP. It's a sheet cake as well. I was thinking on pipping with a bold tip a BBQ pit with a piece of meat and flares. How does that sound?

Now I only need to find pictures. :(

Also, I have no idea how I would price these cake. I KNOW I have been under pricing my stuff so I need to get better at that too. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Dee Dee

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarExplosion 

Hi Everyone!

Okay.. I have three cakes coming up and I'm at a lost because the client wants them done in butter cream. Some Fondant is OK but she prefer butter cream. The clients wants all three done a sheet cakes but gave me to be creative leeway. However, I get the impress from our conversation that she whats a craved cake for all three but I'm not sure. SO I was thinking:

1. Sundress and Sandal cake: I was thinking of carving the shapes out of the cake but I'm worried about wasting too much cake. I could just put a Fondant dress/ sandal and texture them on the the cake. OR I could stencil the image on the cake them use butter cream to decorate the image. Any suggestions. We haven't discussed price I told her I needed to price my materials.

2. BBQ GRILL Cake: I NEED HELP. It's a sheet cake as well. I was thinking on pipping with a bold tip a BBQ pit with a piece of meat and flares. How does that sound?

Now I only need to find pictures. :(

Also, I have no idea how I would price these cake. I KNOW I have been under pricing my stuff so I need to get better at that too. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Dee Dee

#1 i vote for fondant cut out dress and sandal--because you can have them made in advance and just waiting for the cake to get done--you can decorate those with some buttercream and/or fondant too--some flowers on the dress and

#2 hmmm--often the bar b q cakes i see are round--once you do a google search for bar-b-q cake pictures you'll see a ton of ideas!

as far as prices go--in our area--i'd do 2-ish to 3-ish a serving for basic sheet cakes--i'd do some online price comparing--look at other area bakers and line up with their pricing--again of course googling for are bakers/cakes

but doing sculptures and fashioning dresses and sandals means up-charging of course

;)

SugarExplosion Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:18am
post #3 of 11

hi K8memphis,

Thanks for your input. I was leaning toward the cut out on the the fist cakes for the sake of time an cost effectiveness. I took ur advice an looked on CC for grill ideas too. Ive seen some great ideas i can use, that has helped. I will however do more price comparison before i tell her a set price. 

Thank u again,

DeeDee

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 11

oh-- the added cost of fondant

what about a frozen buttercream transfer?

those are pretty straight forward and can give a nice feature to the cake

maybe do a search for it if you haven't done one before

and you think it might work for this project

SugarExplosion Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 11

AK8memphis,

Funny u should mention that, I was looking at that last night when I couldn't sleep. I have never done it before but it seemed pretty straight forward. I was thinking of doing a practice run first.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 11

i bet you would really like it for this project

you can get the plexiglas at lowe's unless you happen to have something already

it's just a couple bucks

it's really easy--and practicing it first is perfect!

the hardest part is finding the pictures you want--and that's not really hard either ;)

Robinmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robinmakescakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 11

Hi Dee Dee,

If your client is really opposed to fondant embellishments you could try stenciling the images on to the sheet cakes with either royal icing or a buttercream that has a stabilizer in it (for firmness and a crust).  There are lots of stencils available for purchase, but making your own stencils is pretty easily done.  All you need is a stencil cutting tool (also used for woodburning and other types of crafts) and stenciling sheets.  These are found in most craft stores for around $20.  I often find traceable images on the internet and use them to make my own stencils.

SugarExplosion Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

i bet you would really like it for this project

you can get the plexiglas at lowe's unless you happen to have something already

it's just a couple bucks

it's really easy--and practicing it first is perfect!

the hardest part is finding the pictures you want--and that's not really hard either ;)

K8memphis, this may sound very elementary to u but what is the plexiglass for? I guess need to get on You Tub and look up videos.

SugarExplosion Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by Robinmakescakes

[SIZE=14px]Hi Dee Dee,[/SIZE] [SIZE=14px]If your client is really opposed to fondant embellishments you could try stenciling the images on to the sheet cakes with either royal icing or a buttercream that has a stabilizer in it (for firmness and a crust).  There are lots of stencils available for purchase, but making your own stencils is pretty easily done.  All you need is a stencil cutting tool (also used for woodburning and other types of crafts) and stenciling sheets.  These are found in most craft stores for around $20.  I often find traceable images on the internet and use them to make my own stencils.[/SIZE]

Robinmakescakes,

I have never stenciled before. But yes, she doesn't care for fondant, however, she loved butter cream. Once again You Tub will have to be my teacher. I'm just happy I have time to play around with different methods b4 I need to make the cake. Thank you for the suggestion.

DeeDee

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 11

i watched this one and it's a good tutorial on it

i mean you could use a piece of glass out of a picture frame too for a no additional cost method

there's a ton of others too

you can 'see' your picture before you freeze it through the plexiglas or glass ;)

and you can add more detail after you apply it to the cake

SugarExplosion Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 11

AK8memphis,

Great!! The tutorial was very straight forward and easy to follow. Thank u!

DeeDee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%