Flowers Made With Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By IHeartCupcakes Updated 16 Aug 2014 , 12:10am by MBalaska

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 13

Can a flower like this be made with modeling chocolate?  Will a ball tool ruffle modeling chocolate like it does fondant or gumpaste? I want to put it on the top of a cupcake and don't really want to use gumpaste.  I would rather use something people will eat.

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 13

yes it could happen

it would need to stay more thick petaled and cooler

thin petals will succumb to the temperature

that looks more like being pinched together rather than the ball tool ruffling it

you could make a mixture of both modeling choco and fondant icon_biggrin.gif

IHeartCupcakes Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 13

AI thought the outside of the pedal was thinned with a ball tool, but I think you are right! I normally make marshmallow fondant, but that probably isn't the best to mix with it?? Thanks a bunch for your response!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 13

That is a very pretty flower. The petals are so thin!  I have used Tootsie rolls and also modeling chocolate for roses for cupcakes and cakes.  Not the same flower though but maybe you could experiment with rolling them out thinner?

Good luck! 

Theresa

7 layer cake covered in ganache and decorated with modeling chocolate and tootsie roll roses!

Made with colored mini tootsie rolls

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 13

Yes you can absolutely do this type of flower with modeling chocolate using the same tools that you would for gumpaste or fondant. That's how I do my flowers. @K8, they don't have to be thick at all. In fact modeling chocolate petals can be rolled extremely thin. I would not recommend fondant or a mix of fondant for this fine of a flower. Fondant is so chunky...I am not sure what kind of flower you are referring to.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 13

you can get straight MMF to roll pretty thin...I used a ball tool on the edges of these petals then pinched the centers to create the ruffle look.

even modeling chocolate/candy clay can be rolled thin...like these roses.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 13

Kristen--yes it can be done i agree--and your cake is gorgeous--i love the coloration

but sometimes the choco is too bendy after being plied by warm new fingers

and it might conform to the top of the cupcake instead of standing up nice & tall

so i was just giving ways to ensure a better product

could be tricky for that type flower

i mean i was picturing it with one big flower on top of the cupcake though

smaller flowers would be more doable for a new learner ;) imo

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 13

Kristin, When is your book coming out? Hurry,Hurry!

IHeartCupcakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:52am
post #9 of 13

AThank you so much for all of the great advice!! I know I can make these flowers easily out of gumpaste, but I may make up a batch of modeling chocolate this weekend and do a trial run to see if I can make it work. All of your cakes and flowers are beautiful!!

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:59am
post #10 of 13

@K8, ah yes I see what you mean. To help modeling chocolate flowers hold their shape, I place them in various sized silicone molds (alternatively, you could use an egg carton). Modeling chocolate firms up nicely overnight. It gets dry and somewhat brittle - not like fondant, but firm enough to stand up on its own. Just keep it away from heat and humidity, which may cause it to wilt. 

@Virago, those are really pretty flowers! Nice work.

@IHeart, right on! Good luck! 

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 12:09am
post #11 of 13

AHi. I tried to use a ball tool for the first time on sum petals that I had cut out of some modelling chocolate I had made (again first time) but the ball tool just stuck to the choc and dragged it. Should I hav let it sit a while to harden 1st? Iv watched sum videos on utube and they just seem to use the ball tool straight away? Am I doing something wrong? Many thanks

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 6:09am
post #12 of 13

I don't use the ball tool when making flowers from modelling choc. I actually just thin the petals by hand by pressing the petal edge between sheets of baking paper with my thumb or finger.

And the flowers will firm up nicely overnight, you can easily make them in advance and they will hold.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 12:10am
post #13 of 13

LOVE love love love Modeling Chocolate......the Wicked Goodies way.  SUPER AWSOME website and book.;-D;-D;-D

^^Those are some beautiful flowers in the posts above.^^  And also smell and taste wonderful for sure.

When I wanted to thin the edge of my petals just a bit, I placed them in-between the pages of clear plastic notebook page holders.  I pressed them slightly with my fingers to thin, then you can just peel the plastic right off the petal.

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3218356/a/3436443/homemade-modeling-chocolate-roses-smbc-vanilla-cupcakes/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%