Fondant Flower On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By missvicks05 Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm by missvicks05

missvicks05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys! I've been reading around about fondant decorations on buttercream iced cakes melting. I have a sheet cake to do in a few weeks, and my customer has asked me to fully ice the cake in just buttercream and have fondant flowers on top.  This is the first cake I'm doing in just buttercream, I've only ever done fondant covered cakes. The party is on Sunday, but the customer is going to pick it up Saturday during the day. I'm afraid that by Sunday, the flowers will melt on the cake. The customer wants a few medium sized roses & lilies in 2 of the corners, and the border to be done in pansy type of flowers around the top.

Is it best to make the fondant flowers on a piece of spaghetti and stick that into the cake? Do I make the flowers with a 50/50 mix? How far in advance should I make the flowers to ensure they are well dried out?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 8

I use mostly gp flowers (purchased.)  And have never had a problem.  Even the flowers I've made have never "melted."  I do use 50/50.

missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I use mostly gp flowers (purchased.)  And have never had a problem.  Even the flowers I've made have never "melted."  I do use 50/50.

I was thinking its probably better to use 50/50 that way with gumpaste in the mix, the flower will dry and harden better than if it was just in fondant. I just don't want the customer opening the box the next day and having a disaster! icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 8

Waitaminit.  I just realized it's Wednesday and you need these flowers for Saturday??  gp may be your only option.  You could have made these flowers 2 weeks or a month ago.  The key to keeping them nice looking on the cake is to get them dry.  Very dry.

Roseyrod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roseyrod Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 8

I make then with gumpaste and they never melt, fondant is another story.

missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Waitaminit.  I just realized it's Wednesday and you need these flowers for Saturday??  gp may be your only option.  You could have made these flowers 2 weeks or a month ago.  The key to keeping them nice looking on the cake is to get them dry.  Very dry.

It's not for this sunday. It's for April 13th. I guess I better start these flowers now! ahah Thanks!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:10am
post #7 of 8

Leah's right, if the flowers are DRY they won't melt or wilt.  Dray as in been dry for a week!

missvicks05 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the advice ladies. The cake order is due this Saturday!

I'm still afraid of the flowers melting over time. The customer is picking it up on Saturday for the party on Sunday.

I had an idea but wanted to get some suggestions. The cake is still going to be iced in buttercream, but what if I put a flat sheet of fondant on top of the sheet cake and use that as the base to place the flowers on top? That would stop the flowers from having any contact with the buttercream.

Also, should the customer store the cake in the fridge? Or would a cool and dry room be good enough?

As always, thank you for your suggestions and comments! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%